Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter's most irritating BUG

[eluser]Fabdrol[/eluser]
Hi folks,

I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this, but trust me, this is really, really starting to itch me.

I'm developing a semantic search filter for a client, and ever single f* time I write a batch of methods there's always some stupid typo spoiling it.

However, the typo ain't the problem. CI drives me mad here, since CI just doesn't give a single clue of what's going on. The kind of problems causing CI to stop working and give blank output. Jeez, people of CI, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Please? (A)

But, I'm also quite interested what your most annoying thing with CI is. Just post it here, this feedback might even help the CI Developers make CI even better!

Just to be clear, I love CI. It's just not perfect, and I feel like it's partly my job as a CI user to post the stuff we'd like to see fixed.

CI Folks, thank you and keep up the good work!

Merry xmas, happy new year and lots of love!
(and a big stuffed turkey ;-))

Fabian

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
The most annoying thing about CI is that it loads up the database class so late. Would be nice to do it, say, before routing so dynamic, database routing would be a cinch

[eluser]Fabdrol[/eluser]
Hi Colin,

You've got a good point there. Maybe it gets fixed in a later version!
Hopes up!

Fabian

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
Why not turn on all errors in php.ini and you'll get a hint?
Apart from that I'll agree with you totally...

[eluser]Fabdrol[/eluser]
[quote author="Johan André" date="1261706151"]Why not turn on all errors in php.ini and you'll get a hint?
Apart from that I'll agree with you totally...[/quote]

Yeah, I thought of that too at first, but thats set correctly to E_ALL.
It has something to do with the way CI loads the files. I think.
(Since errors in controllers trigger an visual error, syntax errors in a Library trigger blank output)

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
It's not about the php.ini. Check the first 10 lines of the index.php in your document root, it has the following line in it (which overwrites your php.ini setting):
Code:
error_reporting(E_ERROR);

Just edit that to say:
Code:
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 'On'); // just for extra measure

Or check the "Starting with CI" article in my sig for a better suggestion.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="Fabdrol" date="1261696172"]
there's always some stupid typo spoiling it.[/quote]
Use an IDE which has inline php parsing so it will show you the error before you try it in a browser. Saves you a lot of time.

Quote:The most annoying thing about CI is that it loads up the database class so late. Would be nice to do it, say, before routing so dynamic, database routing would be a cinch
Extend Router Class and connect to the database there? I know it's a bit of a hack, but it works.

[eluser]Fabdrol[/eluser]
[quote author="Jelmer" date="1261714844"]It's not about the php.ini. Check the first 10 lines of the index.php in your document root, it has the following line in it (which overwrites your php.ini setting):
Code:
error_reporting(E_ERROR);

Just edit that to say:
Code:
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 'On'); // just for extra measure

Or check the "Starting with CI" article in my sig for a better suggestion.[/quote]

That's set correctly, really, I wouldn't post here if I knew it wasn't a problem.
But this post is not really about my most irritating bug, that's an easy fix using my IDE's PHP validation.

I started this post to get insight in what people find the most irritating imperfection about CodeIgniter!

Cheers!
Fabian

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
There's nothing in CodeIgniter that causes blank pages. Blank pages are PHP parse errors (usually typos) and the only variable that controls when or how those are output is display_errors.

Your server might not let you use ini_set. Open up php.ini and look for:
Code:
display_errors = Off

I don't think I would get very much work done with display_errors off.

And on topic:
The most irritating bugs are those that take a long time to fix =D .

[eluser]Fabdrol[/eluser]
[quote author="Pascal Kriete" date="1261781000"]There's nothing in CodeIgniter that causes blank pages. Blank pages are PHP parse errors (usually typos) and the only variable that controls when or how those are output is display_errors.

Your server might not let you use ini_set. Open up php.ini and look for:
Code:
display_errors = Off

I don't think I would get very much work done with display_errors off.

And on topic:
The most irritating bugs are those that take a long time to fix =D .[/quote]

Thanks mate.. But that's really not the problem. In most cases I do get php errors as you would expect, but in the case of library development I don't. It seems to break CI's output functionality. somehow.

do you have an example of some CI framework imperfection you'd like to see different?

Fabian

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB