Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
White page loading delay

[eluser]JanDoToDo[/eluser]
Hi guys,

I have my site being played around with by the client at the minute and he has come back with the following problem. When he changes pages by clicking on the menu links the page goes white for about a second before the page displays.

He's testing on IE6 and a relatively old machine.

My thoughts are that its taking the machine a second to actually load the page but he says it doesnt happen on any other websites including his current website. Is it possible that the screen goes white before any data is drawn while CI is loading the necessary files? If so, is it possible to ensure the files are loaded before the browser tries to draw them?

I can't replicate it on IE7/IE8/FF except for in FF when i change page for the first time the screne also goes white for a split split second and then the page is drawn. This doesnt happen on subsequent page changes though (as content stored in browser cache maybe??) caching isnt enabled on this site (if that is why) and i havent used it before so not sure how to code it in if that is necessary (CI newbie)

Thanks for anyones help! Smile

Anyone got any ideas? I think it must be todo with the CI framework, but it is a VERY small website, (6 pages and 3 views/page roughly)

[eluser]rogierb[/eluser]
Do you use a lot of javascript? If so it can be the old js engine that is slow. I know IE6 can be very slow when dealing with large html pages.

Have you tried ietester (http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage) to see if you can replicate this?

Ok so it seems after trying that tester (thanks for the link!) that it also takes my computer a little time to load, and after clicking on the link, the screen goes white for a bit and then the page is drawn. I tried disabling javascript and it doesnt appear to go white anymore... There isn't a lot of JS though, (oh but i do use jQuery??) and in fact there is only 200 lines.

Is there a way to remove the delay cause by the JS? Thanks for everyones input! Smile

Ok so did a bit more testing and even if i remove all the javascript [removed] tags (which include the JS files in the doc) the screen still goes white before the page loads in IETester. When I select the disable javascript option in IETester there is no loading and the page does not go white at all. Should it not behave the same if javascript is disabled or there is no javascript on the page??

[eluser]Ben Edmunds[/eluser]
Are you still loading the jquery library even if you have no JS on the page?

Ben - Nope, although I did realise that I hadnt taken out the script which loads in the Google Maps API - DUH! When I take this out as well, there is no page loading delay. So - the culprit is the Google Maps API!

Thanks for your help everyone Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB