Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[SOLVED] noob alert. Help getting a site up and running

[eluser]surrealillusions[/eluser]
Hi all,

Having some problems in getting a site built with Codeigniter. I think mainly cos i dont understand fully how the system works.

I come from a background of where I code everything by hand. I'm predominately a frontend developer with some knowledge in php and javascript.

I was looking for a simple framework, to enhance security on my site and use libraries to build on functions and therefore use them to enhance my website. I'm running CI locally on an apache server, running Linux here on my computer.

Now, I've gone through the help files, read most of it, especially the beginner parts, but I'm still at a loss of how I actually start building a site. The welcome_message.php for instance doesn't make sense in that, it doesnt call anything in, such as the doctype functions I saw in the help files.

The root index.php file is even more confusing as my php isnt that advanced to know how that calls in the welcome_message.php file.

For instance, how do i get this graphic design mockup I've done in photoshop coded with CI, complete with pages, CSS files etc etc...

Like I said, its probably going to be me not understanding how it works as I've never worked with frameworks before.

Can someone be so kind and tell me how I need to approach this?

Any help appreciated Smile

[eluser]Sean Gates[/eluser]
Hello surrealillusions! Welcome to the CodeIgniter forums.

First, let me ask you this: do you know what Model / View / Controller (MVC) is?

That will determine the resources that I would point you to.

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
You don't normally touch index.php. Anything you will most likely do... especially as a newbie is in system/application/
config
controllers
models
libraries
views

in config you set the default controller, database settings, etc.
controllers contains a welcome controller, it points the browser to the welcome page you see
models is the area that you use to manipulate and store data
libraries is the folder you use to write your own Libraries
views is where you would put your photoshop design.

[eluser]surrealillusions[/eluser]
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I've been meaning to get round to saying thanks for the help.

I've gone through the tutorials again, and from what you guys have said here, it makes a bit more sense. Just a bit of getting used to, and finding time to go through and learn what its all about and how it exactly works and how to implement a site into it.

Thanks
Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB