Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Suggested .htaccess rewrite is not hiding system folder

[eluser]helloworldly[/eluser]
I'm using the suggested modrewrite rules which work great in removing index.php from the url but do not also remove access to the system folder as it suggests it should: (From Codeigniter wiki: http://codeigniter.com/wiki/mod_rewrite/)

I also have config/config.php set as suggested with:
$config['index_page'] = "";
$config['uri_protocol'] = "QUERY_STRING";

Everything works fine locally using MAMP and remotely using GoDaddy server re: removing index.php from the url, but I am still able to view the system folder and its contents on both MAMP and GoDaddy. So, as an example, going to http://example.com/folderWhereFullAppRes...e_view.php will display the view contents rather than redirecting to app's index.php as htaccess implies it should.

As an alternative to using htaccess rules: I'd love to move the system outside the public www view, but that is not possible with GoDaddy from what I can see and so am bound to using .htaccess rules.

Seems this part of the suggested htaccess file is not functioning as intended in my environments:

#Removes access to the system folder by users.
#Additionally this will allow you to create a System.php controller,
#previously this would not have been possible.
#'system' can be replaced if you have renamed your system folder.
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^system.*
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php?/$1 [L]

If it matters: the client is using the "deluxe" GoDaddy setup where multiple domains / sites can be hosted from 1 account.

Any thoughts? Thanks much.

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
You could try this and make sure it is above any other rules.
Code:
RewriteCond $1 ^system [NC]

Edit: removed the not ("!")

Thanks Rick. Yes, it's preventing access to system folder now, though it couldn't find the index.php:

"The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server."

So originally it was:

And you added this similar rule above other rules:

What's the difference between the two? Why would two rules be needed?

Thanks Rick!

Well that can't be your only rule, or all urls besides those starting with "system" wouldn't work. For example, you could use rules that look something like this:
Code:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
Since "system" is a directory, if the first rule was last, it wouldn't get matched since RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d would be true. That says if the REQUEST_FILENAME is a directory, execute the rule.

Quote:What’s the difference between the two?

For you, probably nothing. But I think it is better to not use REQUEST_URI in .htaccess if your RewriteBase is a subdirectory - which apparently doesn't apply to you. Otherwise you'd have to include your subdirectory before the "system" in the REQUEST_URI RewriteCond. It's a subtle difference and only applies if you are working in a subdirectory and using .htaccess.

So I don't think the rewrite rule by itself was the problem. I suspect some other rule above it matched so that rule wasn't executed. The [L] means last - "if this rule matched, don't execute another".

Quote:Why would two rules be needed?
One rule must match, or your script won't be found.

If you are not aware, on most hosts you move your system directory above the web root so that it cannot be accessed through a url. Also, as opposed to sending requests to "system" through CI, you could just disallow those requests entirely.

Quote:"If you are not aware, on most hosts you move your system directory above the web root so that it cannot be accessed through a url."

Yeah I wish Go Daddy gave me that freedom but they don't. At least not on the plan my client has -- or not that I can see anyway.

Re: my htaccess - i had the exact copy of the recommended htaccess from that codeigniter wiki post i linked to in my first post. The only difference wasthat i commented out the rewritebase:

Code:
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    # Allow or disallow use of RewriteBase
    # RewriteBase /

#Removes access to the system folder by users.
    #Additionally this will allow you to create a System.php controller,
    #previously this would not have been possible.
    #'system' can be replaced if you have renamed your system folder.

#Checks to see if the user is attempting to access a valid file,
    #such as an image or css document, if this isn't true it sends the
    #request to index.php
       RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?/$1 [L]
</IfModule>

<IfModule !mod_rewrite.c>
    # If we don't have mod_rewrite installed, all 404's
    # can be sent to index.php, and everything works as normal.
    # Submitted by: ElliotHaughin

ErrorDocument 404 /index.php
</IfModule>

Notice the "/" before index.php on the first 2 rules? I thought that was specific to GoDaddy, but I see your last rule doesn't have it. Remove the "/" in front of index.php for all rules and you should be good to go.

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CI limit the direct access to core-files if the constant BASE is not defined?

Yeah just seems like a path issue... this helped - isntead of giving a php error - it directs to the stylized 404 page. Though I thought it was to go to the index.php and display the home page...

Just a path issue i guess...

[quote author="helloworldly" date="1263270474"]Yeah just seems like a path issue... this helped - isntead of giving a php error - it directs to the stylized 404 page. Though I thought it was to go to the index.php and display the home page...

Just a path issue i guess...[/quote]
Expected behavior. If you typed example.com/fsdfjsdlfjj you'd get the 404 page. If the url can't be resolved to a controller/method, then 404.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB