Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
callback validation help

[eluser]dadamssg[/eluser]
im trying to write functions that check dates but im not sure how to use them in a validation script. I know you can use callbacks for your own functions but i don't know how to use it for this.
Code:
function date_exists($month,$day,$year)
    {
        if(checkdate($month,$day,$year))
          {  
            return TRUE;
          }
        else
          {
          return FALSE;
          }
    }

i need to use this twice...once for the start date and one for the end date. i can't see how i can do that using the $rules[]

[eluser]JHackamack[/eluser]
Why not combine start date and end date before you pass them in with a unique character ("-","/","_", etc) and then explode that character inside the function?

i don't understand how you use a callback to pass data into it...from the user guide you use this

Code:
$this->form_validation->set_rules('username', 'Username', 'callback_username_check');

how do you pass info INTO that username check when your setting the ruls?

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
I believe callback functions for form_validation can only accept one parameter, which is the value of the field being validated. You would probably be passing it a string in the format of m/d/Y, or something similar.

Code:
function date_exists($date)
{
  $timestamp = strtotime($date);
  return checkdate(date('m', $timestamp), date('d', $timestamp), date('Y', $timestamp);
}

then:

Code:
$this->form_validation->set_rules('start_date', 'Start Date', 'callback_date_exists');
$this->form_validation->set_rules('end_date', 'End Date', 'callback_date_exists');

It will only pass one parameter into the callback:

http://www.codeignitor.com/user_guide/li...#callbacks

Thats why i was suggesting combining the strings of the date with a unique character you can use php explode on.

You might notice in the example routines they have a

username_check($str)

where $str is the one variable you can pass in.

You can also call $this->input->post or $this->input->get inside your function so if your variables are posted you can reference them that way without having to combine them beforehand.

well i would need to pass in six parameters: month, day , year, hour, min, am/pm. Not six for this checkdate function but i will be writing other functions that deal with timestamps.

noctrum,

i don't think that would work. I have my date and time selection broken down into dropdowns for each. Its not just a text field where they would input "1/12/2010". They have to select day, month, year, hour, min, am/pm from drop downs and radio buttons.

If you have them broken up and using post variables use the following

callback_date_exists

function date_exists()
{
$month = $this->input->post('month');
$day = $this->input->post('day');
$year = $this->input->post('year');
etc
}

that should work for your needs

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB