Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
MeNeedz Visitor tracking

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
Yeah, I've thought about that aswell but having come up with a solution yet. Maybe including a feature to auto-delete data that's older than 1 year and only keep the processed stats?

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
I think, 1 year is a bit length of time. After 1 year medium-site can collect thousands and thousands of db records. Maybe, You should add such method to your lib as:
Code:
$this->tracker_model->delete_after('6m');
Which means, that lib will delete all records, where date is bigger then 6 months ago. What do you think?

I choose 1 year for a reason as it would allow you to compare the stats over 1 year and see how the site has developed.

I haven't put much thought into this yet, but if I'll implement such a function I think 1 year will be the default but just like you proposed, the user can decide after what period of time he wants to delete records.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
So, the problem has gone :-) And, question: Why I should use your library instead of faster and more powerful Google Analytics?

The only reason I can think of right now is that you have full control over what is saved when and that bad Google does not have access to it Wink

If you read my first post, you would know that this was created more out of curiosity than the plan to replace Google Analytics.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
Ok, I understood.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
Ok, I understood.

I just found an actual reason why this solution might be better than Google Analytics: It works even if the user has deactivated JS Smile

[eluser]Jamie Rumbelow[/eluser]
Nice little library. I'm a sucker for Mint, myself. But it's interesting to see the methods you're using. As far as the data overload problem goes, I'd probably have any data over, say 3 months old, aggregated and compressed down into half the records (by averaging it and dividing by two), then 6 months 1/4, 1 year+ 1/8.

Sure, you'd loose out on some exact records but you'd still be able to track trends, and you'd be able to reduce your data usage by 64 times! Simple maths make programming that little bit painless.

J

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
[quote author="waldmeister" date="1264483228"]I just found an actual reason why this solution might be better than Google Analytics: It works even if the user has deactivated JS Smile[/quote]
Smile But perfomance, perfomance and again, perfomance!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB