Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Redux Auth - is it dead?

[eluser]tobefound[/eluser]
Hi all,

All over the place I see people ranking Redux Auth as the best auth lib for CI. But honestly, I can't see why? There's no documentation available, there's no support, and the official google code site hasn't been updated in a looooong time.

Of course, Redux Auth is clean and non-bloating (coming only with a few files) but if we can't use it and we can't rely on any upgrade to come, then I can't see me marrying Redux any time soon.

Or am I missing something? IS it easy to use Redux, is it reliable, does it have standard auth features (and yes, I consider recover password to be an auth feature although not strictly having to do with authentication)?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to use Redux because it seems simple - the feature list and the sales effort of Redux sound promising, but I just couldn't see it when I opened the box.

For now I have been using Tank Auth for a while and it seems to do the job. However, it's a rewrite of the much-bloated DX Auth. And the latter is shooting ducks with bazookas but it works.

Pleeeeeease comment on this! Smile

/T

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
If you like Redux Auth then give Ion Auth a try. Ben Edmunds took over where Redux Auth 2 BETA left off and we have both been going through the code, simplifying and improving it.

We fixed the last of the known bugs between us yesterday.

http://github.com/benedmunds/CodeIgniter-Ion-Auth

[eluser]tobefound[/eluser]
For real? So, would you say Ion Auth is in BETA now?

Didn't see any docs or examples yet, would you like to post one on GH and I will test the auth lib right away.

Just for reference, this is a must-read: a great SO.com thread one concerning auth lib, specifically the third entry by Jens Roland:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34698...ry-is-best

Do you feel your new Ion lib matches his criteria?

/T

I read that the other day, but if you notice it is over a year old and not particularly relevant anymore.

Ion Auth has no official status, its BETA I guess, but I am using it in a app at work and it works perfectly so far. I have even added some crazy code to allow you to:

- Run the user system on a multi-domain website where each domain needs to have unique users, but they can register for either
- Allow a user to sign up under different user groups. Eg: a user can have a admin account AND a user account of they wished.

Pretty sure no other auth system can do that. :-)

[eluser]JanDoToDo[/eluser]
Phil do you have a zip package that i can get of this?

No, but GitHub does :-)

http://github.com/benedmunds/CodeIgniter...all/master

Sweet thankyou. I'm gonna put this into production as well... only a small site with a few users to test it out. Will let you know what happens! (You think it's removed most of bugs yeah? Smile )

I've probably put a few in. Poor Ben...

Haha... well we'll see! Well im gonna have to change the DB schema and some of the associated functions as it will be used on a CMS type system so will let you know eitherway what happens!

Phil - I just tried to use this but i think maybe you copied the wrong file into the config folder? It is a copy of the ion_auth in the library folder so it is throwing up an error.. Could you check this? Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB