Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
ME HMVC using base modules and child modules

[eluser]wilso417[/eluser]
Hey guys, new to the boards. Long time developer, new to CI + ME HMVC user. Looked on these boards and google for hours and could not find a solution to my problem.

I am going to be creating a new CMS. I noticed in my previous CMS I was copying a lot of the same functionality in each module, so i thought using the HMVC would be best for me. I really like it so far but am having some trouble setting up a base module and having child modules inherit from it. Here is an example of what I want to do. I want a base module called Content which will contain my common code. I then want a module called News whose controller would inherit from the Content controller.

class Content extends Controller {

function __construct() {
parent::Controller();
}

function content_not_found() {
$this->load->view('notfound');
}
}

class News extends Content {
function __construct() {
parent::__construct();
}

function display_news() {

// pseudocode to find news items in db
if (!$found) {
$this->content_not_found();
}
}
}

The problem is of course, CI returns 'Unable to locate the file: notfound.php'. I know this is probably because CI is looking for that view file in my News module folder, not the Content module folder.

I know not having News inherit from Content and then having News just 'use' that module:
$this->content->content_not_found() would work, but this would create more redundant code.

Anyone try to use a similar approach?

[eluser]flaky[/eluser]
include the file at the beginning, then you can extend it at the news.php ( I had the same problem )
Code:
//I'm just guessing the path
include_once(APPPATH . 'modules/content/content' . EXT);

Yeah, I have that in:

require_once(APPPATH.'modules/content/controllers/content'.EXT);

If I didn't get that in I would be getting a class 'Content' not found error, not a template error. I think the issue is that $this->load->view() is looking in modules/news/views when it should look in modules/content/views.

The only way i've gotten my parent module to see it's template is by putting the template in
application/views/. However, this kind of defeats the purpose of the nice organization of modules. Anyone know of a better solution?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB