Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Parallels Plesk thoughts and problems

Sup guys! I just installed Plesk 12 web admin edition on my server and im facing few problems. I hope you can help me out Smile

First of all the mysql wont connect using passwords.
After creating a webspace for a client and set up the database PDO wont connect. You might thing that the username or the password is wrong but it isn't. Even i go login as root on my server and try to login with 

Quote:$ mysql --user=admin --password=<password>

<!--exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'hdphosolutions'@localhost (using password: YES)' in /var/www/vhosts/site.com/httpdocs/index.php:7
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/vhosts/site.com/httpdocs/index.php(7): PDO->__construct('mysql:host=loca...', 'site', '<password>')
#1 {main}-->

it wont connect. From the Parallels docs you can find that plesk is changind the 'root' to 'admin' the the password is the same with your panel password. Source 1   Source 2

You can however use the command below to connect as root/admin
Quote:mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`

But who cares? I want to connect through PDO! Nothing is working and nothing can establish a connection. Any ideas?

Apache and Nginx
Of course Plesk is using both webservers at the same time with the power of quantum mechanics and magic.
It passes php scripts thought Nginx and serves static pages through Apache. In my old machine i was using only Nginx which is a pain in the *** to migrade it int to Plesk. Probably i will leave it as it is for now and i will try to change it on a mirror server. However if you have any ideas please let me know!

Migration to MariaDB
After switching to MariaDB i noticed better RAM usage. Since im having only 1GB ram this is important to me! By default Plesk is using MySQL so you have to change it manualy. I found this awesome guide here on how to change the database. Since MariaDB is a fork of MySQL it has 99.99% compatibility.

Create subdomains without using the Panel
So, obviously you can add sudomains through Plesk but what i dont want? Is it possible to add the domains directly on the vhost file?

I know this may not be something you want to hear. But the sooner you stop using plesk and cpanel and start learning linux and installing a LAMP or LNMP stack on a server and getting to grips with it. The better you will be and not getting stuck on simple issues.

It's really easy to get a server, install linux, install server apps and configure them. There are tutorials, answers on stackoverflow and even irc channels with many people wanting to help you out.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2014, 02:01 PM by alroker.)

(11-16-2014, 10:38 AM)no1youknowz Wrote: I know this may not be something you want to hear.  But the sooner you stop using plesk and cpanel and start learning linux and installing a LAMP or LNMP stack on a server and getting to grips with it.  The better you will be and not getting stuck on simple issues.

It's really easy to get a server, install linux, install server apps and configure them.  There are tutorials, answers on stackoverflow and even irc channels with many people wanting to help you out.

I'll second this. I started on Plesk many years ago, and hated it. cPanel is a whole load better! But learning to manage and setup a server for your self just can't be beat, and it's really easy and low cost now days. You can use VirtualBox and Vagrant on your local machine to play about with it all, and you can use services like DigitalOcean to spin up a box online for peanuts. 

While learning to setup LAMP or LEMP is pretty straight forward, you should take the time to learn how to secure and performance optimize your system too. However, learning all of this is now very easy with so many tutorials, and very affordable.

I was using the LEMP stack for a year however it was very hard for my team to use it since you had to do everything via the terminal. Thats why we switched to Plesk. I agree with you. It was much simpler for me to do stuff via the terminanal.
The second reason i had to use a panel was the clients. It is much more esier for them to check their traffic and disk usage directly from the panel and manage e-mails.
Also Plesk is way cheaper than cPanel (4 euros/m)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB