Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[Solved] Controller help for a beginner coder, stuck using templates with a contact form

[eluser]_Darkdreams[/eluser]
Hi all, please excuse the junior nature of this request for help but after days of searching I have drawn a blank.

I have followed lots of CI tutorials and am building a site around a simple set of templates.

template_view.php contains the following:

Code:
<?php $this->load->view('includes/header_include'); ?>

<?php $this->load->view('includes/navigation_include'); ?>

<?php $this->load->view($mainContent); ?>

<?php $this->load->view($sideContent); ?>

<?php $this->load->view('includes/footer_include'); ?>

with $mainContent and $sideContent being defined in the controller.

Now in a typical controller I use $data as an array to hold all sorts of information to pass to each page such as meta data and the page title and a marker for the nav to know what page is what.

Now what I want to do when submitting my form is reload the page of the validation fails and change just the $mainContent value to the success template if the form submits correctly.

Here is my controller at the moment:

Code:
<?php

class Contactme extends Controller {

// index function    
        function index()
                {
                    $data = array(
                        'mainContent' => 'main_view', // set mainContent to the view we want to see as the main content
                        'sideContent' => 'main_secondary_view', //set sideContent to the view we want as the side bar
                        'meta' => array( //set the meta data for the page
                                array('name' => 'Content-type', 'content' => 'text/html; charset=utf-8', 'type' => 'equiv'),
                                array('name' => 'description', 'content' => 'My Great Site'),
                                array('name' => 'keywords', 'content' => 'keywords go here'),
                                array('name' => 'language', 'content' => 'English'),
                                array('name' => 'author', 'content' => 'Author goes here'),
                                array('name' => 'copyright', 'content' => 'Copyright goes here'),
                                array('name' => 'revisit-after', 'content' => '30 days'),
                                array('name' => 'document-class', 'content' => 'Completed'),
                                array('name' => 'document-classification', 'content' => 'Design'),
                                array('name' => 'document-rights', 'content' => 'Copyrighted Work'),
                                array('name' => 'document-type', 'content' => 'Public'),
                                array('name' => 'document-rating', 'content' => 'General'),
                                array('name' => 'document-distribution', 'content' => 'Global'),
                                array('name' => 'document-state', 'content' => 'Dynamic'),
                                array('name' => 'cache-control', 'content' => 'Public'),
                                array('name' => 'robots', 'content' => 'FOLLOW')
                                ),
                        'pageTitle' => 'This is the page title', //set the page title
                        'thisPage' => 'contactMe' //set the navigation element to have the selected tab
                        );
                    $this->load->view('includes/template_view' , $data); //load the page
                }

function send () {

$this->load->library('form_validation');

//validation rules
                //field name, validation message, validation rules
                $this->form_validation->set_rules('forename', 'Forename', 'trim|required');
                $this->form_validation->set_rules('surname', 'Surname', 'trim|required');
                $this->form_validation->set_rules('email', 'Email', 'trim|required|valid_email');
                $this->form_validation->set_rules('comments', 'Comments', 'trim|required');

if ($this->form_validation->run() == FALSE) {

//validation has failed, load the form view page again
                    $this->load->view('contact_view');
                }
                else  {

//validation has passed now send the email
                    //first save each form field as a variable
                    $forename = $this->input->post('forename');
                    $surname = $this->input->post('surname');
                    $email = $this->input->post('email');
                    $comments = $this->input->post('comments');

$this->load->library('email');
                    $this->email->set_newline("\r\n");

$this->email->from($email);
                    $this->email->to('[email protected]');
                    $this->email->subject('Contact from the website');
                    $this->email->message($comments);

if ($this->email->send())
                        {
                            $this->load->view('contact_success_view');
                            //echo 'your email was sent';
                            //need to create a solution to send the user back to the form page and load a sucess message

}

else
                    {
                        show_error($this->email->print_debugger());

}

}

}
    }

More to come, i've run out of room Smile

Where was I...

Now here comes the bit where I am stuck. If the form validation fails, do I say

Code:
$this->load->function('index');

or

Code:
$this->load->view('includes/template_view' , $data);

to reload the page?

The other bit that has me stumped is what to do to change the $mainContent value to load the contact_success_view.php file?

As the $data array is in the index function it would seem that $data is not available to the functions in the rest of the controller.

I appreciate that this is probably basic stuff but I am trying to teach this stuff to myself and this time I am truly stuck. Could someone point me in the right direction or tell me what I am doing wrong so I can move closer to figuring this out and making progress with CI and php?

Regards

Jamie

[eluser]dmorin[/eluser]
One option would be to make your data array a class variable like so:

Code:
<?php

class Contactme extends Controller {

var $data = array(
                        'mainContent' => 'main_view', // set mainContent to the view we want to see as the main content
                        'sideContent' => 'main_secondary_view', //set sideContent to the view we want as the side bar
                        'meta' => array( //set the meta data for the page
                                array('name' => 'Content-type', 'content' => 'text/html; charset=utf-8', 'type' => 'equiv'),
                                array('name' => 'description', 'content' => 'My Great Site'),
                                array('name' => 'keywords', 'content' => 'keywords go here'),
                                array('name' => 'language', 'content' => 'English'),
                                array('name' => 'author', 'content' => 'Author goes here'),
                                array('name' => 'copyright', 'content' => 'Copyright goes here'),
                                array('name' => 'revisit-after', 'content' => '30 days'),
                                array('name' => 'document-class', 'content' => 'Completed'),
                                array('name' => 'document-classification', 'content' => 'Design'),
                                array('name' => 'document-rights', 'content' => 'Copyrighted Work'),
                                array('name' => 'document-type', 'content' => 'Public'),
                                array('name' => 'document-rating', 'content' => 'General'),
                                array('name' => 'document-distribution', 'content' => 'Global'),
                                array('name' => 'document-state', 'content' => 'Dynamic'),
                                array('name' => 'cache-control', 'content' => 'Public'),
                                array('name' => 'robots', 'content' => 'FOLLOW')
                                ),
                        'pageTitle' => 'This is the page title', //set the page title
                        'thisPage' => 'contactMe' //set the navigation element to have the selected tab
                        );

// index function    
        function index()
                {
                    $this->load->view('includes/template_view' , $this->data); //load the page
                }

So then you can use it from any mention within the class. Also, if you want to call another method from within the same class, just use $this->index() instead of $this->load->function('index');

Thank you Smile

A solution quite like me.... so simple Big Grin

I figured that the solution was something like you suggested but for the life of me I kept getting close but not getting it right.

Thanks again,

Jamie

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
You might want to take a look at MY_Controller which will make it much easier to get a header and footer on every page

At the moment my template works fine although I can see many advantages when I expand the site to include user information and session data Smile

Ok so I am slightly stuck again, so my array contains this value:

Code:
$data = array(
              'mainContent' => 'contact_main_view',

which defines the view I want to load for the page. Now on the contact form I need to change this value to the new view if the form is submitted successfully.

Code:
$data = array(
              'mainContent' => 'contact_success_view',

I have this at the moment..

Code:
if ($this->email->send())
                        {
                            $this->load->view('includes/template_view' , $this->data);

}

How do I assign the new value for mainContent?

Code:
$data[mainContent] = "contact_success_view";

doesn't seem to work if I add it to the if statement above, before the $this->load line.

Any clues? I appreciate this is basic stuff but I am doing my best to learn as I go Smile

Jamie

Yay figured this out,

Code:
$this->data['mainContent'] = "contact_success_view";

I missed the '' around mainContent.

Thanks for the pointers and help with this Smile

Jamie

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB