Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Search system

[eluser]Assim[/eluser]
What's the best way of creating a search system with the search query in the URI?

[eluser]saidai jagan[/eluser]
I Like to Search using the Post methods, B cos we can search emails using that post methods.

[eluser]Assim[/eluser]
[quote author="saidai jagan" date="1267030681"]I Like to Search using the Post methods, B cos we can search emails using that post methods.[/quote]
But in that case, are the searches cached? Or do you know how to cache them if all searches are made in the same page like this:
http://www.example.com/search/results/

[eluser]Assim[/eluser]
Or does anybody have any idea how to create the search system of this forum?

[eluser]stommert[/eluser]
Hi,

It depends on what you are searching for. You could use a like statement. Or you could search the forum
search query
search query 2

As you can imagine there are a lot of variations possible in a 'search system'. Do you want to search a text field, multiple text fields or even multiple tables? Caching your results or queries is an whole other problem.
Just asking for a search system is probably not going to work on this forum.

gr

[eluser]Craig300[/eluser]
I came across this problem a few months ago and ended up using Zend Lucene search which works a treat. You index whatever you want, from one or multiple tables, and then when someone searches for something, is queries the index for the search criteria. Bit of a pain to do but it works great and I can use it for multiple sites now its done.

Hope this helps Smile

[eluser]Assim[/eluser]
[quote author="stommert" date="1267042395"]Hi,

It depends on what you are searching for. You could use a like statement. Or you could search the forum
search query
search query 2

As you can imagine there are a lot of variations possible in a 'search system'. Do you want to search a text field, multiple text fields or even multiple tables? Caching your results or queries is an whole other problem.
Just asking for a search system is probably not going to work on this forum.

gr[/quote]
Thanks. Well, I was actually for all possible ways from the simple search system to the most complicated one. But you covered everything in your links. Smile

Thanks again! Smile

[quote author="Craig300" date="1267042701"]I came across this problem a few months ago and ended up using Zend Lucene search which works a treat. You index whatever you want, from one or multiple tables, and then when someone searches for something, is queries the index for the search criteria. Bit of a pain to do but it works great and I can use it for multiple sites now its done.

Hope this helps Smile[/quote]
Are you talking about this? http://devzone.zend.com/article/91

Anyway, I will have a look about it since I'm not that familar with it. Smile

Thanks. Wink

[eluser]Craig300[/eluser]
Yeah thats what I was talking about. You can choose what fields from the database to index and choose from which tables to gather the data from to put into the index. Once you have set this up, make an index and providing not content changes on your site, you will be fine.

However, if you use this for a CMS like I have, you have two options to keep the index up to date. Either create a script to reindex the site and create a cron on your server to call that script every so often, or, you call that function every time content is changed.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB