Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
RSS aggregator

[eluser]Kurai[/eluser]
Hi everyone.
I'm really starting with CI, I like it al lot, but, not being a much of a coder, something is still difficult to figure out for me.

I'm trying to do an RSS aggregator, which displays several sources in several ways (I.E: the last post from a blog, flickr images, the most n recent posts for another blog and so on).

Right now I'm proceeding like this: I've made an aggregator view which act as a container, and several other views for various bits of codes (header, footer, and the various RSS boxes) to easily edit them.

Then I've installed Simplepie as a class and tried fetching a single RSS source, following literally the tutorial at http://www.nextbigleap.com/blog/developm...deigniter/.

This worked pretty fine, but I'm stuck now. I know I should create a function which takes an url as an argument and then returns the array with the rss feed, but I can't figure out where to create it (a new library maybe?) and how to call it correctly from the view in which I want to display my feed.

I know thisi is probably quite stupid as a question, but I still have difficulties in understanding the differences between classes, models and libraries.

Can anyone lend me a hand? Thank you!

[eluser]NemetraL[/eluser]
Following the MVC principles, it's not the view that will call your library, it's the controller.
The controller calls the library, puts the data in a variable and calls the view with this variable as an argument.

For your last question, controllers/models/libraries are all classes in that they're all coded in OOP way.

[eluser]codelearn[/eluser]
Kurai -

I actually had to whip up something like this really quickly yesterday:

Using simplepie...

Code:
$count = 1;
foreach($feeds as $url)
{
$this->simplepie->set_feed_url($url);
$this->simplepie->init();
$d['news_rss_'.$count]=$this->simplepie->get_items(0,8);
$count++;
}

$feeds is an array of all the URL's you want to pass. Am I answering the correct question?

[eluser]Kurai[/eluser]
Ok, I'm not sure, then, if I followed the correct path.
Basically what I did was a new library with the class to fetch an RSS, getting only the parameters I really need. This way I could take advantage of simplepie built-in commands:
Code:
class Rss {

function blogblock($url)
    {

$CI =& get_instance();
        $CI->simplepie->set_feed_url($url);
        $CI->simplepie->init();
        $CI->simplepie->handle_content_type();
        $arr['blogtitle']=$CI->simplepie->get_title();

foreach ($CI->simplepie->get_items(0,1) as $item):
            $arr['itemtitle']=$item->get_title();
            $arr['itemdate']=$item->get_date();
            $arr['itemcont']=word_limiter($item->get_content(), 100);
            $arr['itemplink']=$item->get_permalink();
        endforeach;
        return $arr;
     }

}

Then I called that function from my view, passing the url and constructing the HTML:
Code:
<div id="blog1">
    &lt;?php    
    $rss=$this->rss->blogblock("http://feeds.feedburner.com/kurai");
    ?&gt;
        <h4>&lt;?=$rss['itemdate'];?&gt; on &lt;?=$rss['blogtitle'];?&gt;</h4>
        <h2><a href="&lt;?=$rss['itemplink'];?&gt;" title="&lt;?=$rss['itemtitle'];?&gt;">&lt;?=$rss['itemtitle'];?&gt;</a></h2>
        <div class="content">
        &lt;?=$rss['itemcont'];?&gt; <a href="&lt;?=$rss['itemplink'];?&gt;" title="&lt;?=$rss['itemtitle'];?&gt;">More</a>
        </div>

</div>

I did this mainly because I didn't want to fetch too much data from the RSS, but seeing your advices I'm not so convinced this is the best way to go. What do you think?
If I build an array with all the RSS feed, is there a simple way to retrieve the single elements (say, the post title or the permalink)?
Thank you!

In your controller, just do:
Code:
$this->load->library('rss');
$data['rss'] = $this->rss->blogblock("http://feeds.feedburner.com/kurai");
$this->load->view('template_name', $data);

Then in the view (the template_name file):
Code:
<div id="blog1">
&lt;?php foreach ($rss as $val) : ?&gt;
    <h4>&lt;?=$val['itemdate'];?&gt; on &lt;?=$val['blogtitle'];?&gt;</h4>
    <h2><a href="&lt;?=$val['itemplink'];?&gt;" title="&lt;?=$val['itemtitle'];?&gt;">&lt;?=$val['itemtitle'];?&gt;</a></h2>
    <div class="content">
        &lt;?=$val['itemcont'];?&gt; <a href="&lt;?=$val['itemplink'];?&gt;" title="&lt;?=$val['itemtitle'];?&gt;">More</a>
    </div>
&lt;? endforeach; ?&gt;
</div>

Last thing: aren't you retrieving only the last RSS item in your blogblock() function?

[eluser]Kurai[/eluser]
That's right. I set it up this way, for now, but I will accept as a parameter the number of entry to display. This was just for testing purposes.

Another thing: using the way you suggested, how can I set up multiple RSS blocks (each with its URL)? Rightt now the controller doesn't directly load the blog1 view. It loads a container view which composes a header, a footer and several RSS blocks.

The problem is that I don't know how to pass each data to its own block, since it seems that if I call two or more views in the controller only the last is applied...

Plenty of posts regarding this issue.. even an entry in the wiki.
It's commonly called 'displaying multiple views'.

Basically, with CI's standard features, you put the partial view in a variable and then you transmit this variable to the final view using:
Code:
$data['blog1'] = $this->view->load('blog1_partial_view', $rss, true);
$this->load->view('template_name', $data);

Other ways of doing it exist: look at Coolfactor's View library for example.

[eluser]Kurai[/eluser]
Thank you very much.
I haven't thought this way to build multiple views, and I was stuck, because with the container method I just can't pass different objects to different views. I go check the wiki and the Coolfactor library.

You're welcome.

Happy coding ;-)

[eluser]Kurai[/eluser]
Seems I'm still not so good...
I tried the code you proposed, bu it seems I can't get it to work. It sendss me an error:

Quote:A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Notice
Filename: controllers/aggregator.php
Line Number: 15
Fatal error: Call to a member function load() on a non-object in /home/.pizza/kurainisei/ataru.urustar.net/system/application/controllers/aggregator.php on line 15

I used this code for the controller:
Code:
$this->load->library("rss");
        $this->load->library('simplepie');
        $rss['source1'] = $this->rss->blogblock("http://feeds.feedburner.com/kurai");
        $rss['source2'] = $this->rss->blogblock("http://feeds.feedburner.com/kuraimh");

$data['blog1'] = $this->view->load('blog1', $rss, true);
        $data['blog2'] = $this->view->load('blog1', $rss, true);

$this->load->view('aggrview' , $data);
    }

Then for the view of a single blog source:
Code:
<div id="blog1">
        <h4>&lt;?=$source1['itemdate'];?&gt; on &lt;?=$source1['blogtitle'];?&gt;</h4>
        <h2><a href="&lt;?=$source1['itemplink'];?&gt;" title="&lt;?=$source1['itemtitle'];?&gt;">&lt;?=$source1['itemtitle'];?&gt;</a></h2>
        <div>
        &lt;?=$source1['itemcont'];?&gt; <a href="&lt;?=$source1['itemplink'];?&gt;" title="&lt;?=$source1['itemtitle'];?&gt;">More</a>
        </div>

</div>

(and I used the exact same code for blog2 view, changing $source1 in $source2)

Finally, the composite view has this code (I omit html and head, it's just the boy content)
Code:
<div class="content">
        &lt;?=$blog1?&gt;
        &lt;?=$blog2?&gt;    
        </div>

Where I am wrong? It seems that the approach of CodeIgniter in this kind of problem is not so obvious... am I forgetting something?

Thank you!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB