Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Curiosity about this site

[eluser]wdcmatt[/eluser]
I have only recently started coding in CI, and I really like. I am a bit curious about this site, I notice when logging in or searching the forums it goes to a temporary screen asking to wait I was wondering what the reason is for it? is it a security thing, or a server load thing, or just a necessity for the number of people on the site.

This is not a complaint, I am just curious as to why it is structured that way. How and why would someone like myself implement something similar? (send a header with a refresh?..) I realize this is a bit of an abstract question, but any useful answer would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="wdcmatt" date="1268701321"]
I have only recently started coding in CI, and I really like. I am a bit curious about this site, I notice when logging in or searching the forums it goes to a temporary screen asking to wait I was wondering what the reason is for it? is it a security thing, or a server load thing, or just a necessity for the number of people on the site.
[/quote]

I don't know why they do it that way - but I find it a bit cumbersome to not be able to send someone a link that contains a search result.

Quote:How and why would someone like myself implement something similar? (send a header with a refresh?..) I realize this is a bit of an abstract question, but any useful answer would be helpful.

Yeah, a redirect with some post data would be one (the most straightforward?) way of doing it.

Unless you've got some compelling reasons for presenting the search results that way, though, I'd suggest you either pass the search terms in the URL (so it is transportable) or you save search queries into a table (arguably a touch ugly, but not hugely expensive, I think) and pass that table's id around.

[eluser]Rob Gordijn[/eluser]
My thoughts about the search:
Because of the many search-options, all those values are stored in a table or so, with an unique identifier.
(think about the loooong uri with all the options /x/y/z/a/b/c/fu/bar/)

You can pass the uri of your search to others, even with a page number in it:
http://ellislab.com/forums/search_result...f520e/P40/

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="Rob Gordijn" date="1268746725"]
You can pass the uri of your search to others, even with a page number in it:
http://ellislab.com/forums/search_result...f520e/P40/
[/quote]

Yes, this is certainly what I would want in a search string URL - but (and it's been some time since I've checked this) I think that CI/forums search results expire inconveniently quickly (ie. something less than forever).

[eluser]Mareshal[/eluser]
[quote author="wdcmatt" date="1268701321"]I notice when logging in or searching the forums it goes to a temporary screen asking to wait I was wondering what the reason is for it? is it a security thing, or a server load thing, or just a necessity for the number of people on the site. [/quote]

CodeIgniter.com has 5,152 Alexa rank, which means at least 30-50k unique visitors daily(if someone could confirm this would be ok). This can cause a high load for the server, and this is why that page makes the SQL server and the CPU to "take a breath" between queries and other tasks.

Can you swim without taking a small breath every couple of seconds?

I am a student, and the same question I put to my teacher. and the swimming was given as an example.

[eluser]wdcmatt[/eluser]
Thanks for all the input. I appreciate.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="Mareshal" date="1268749016"]
CodeIgniter.com has 5,152 Alexa rank, which means at least 30-50k unique visitors daily(if someone could confirm this would be ok).
[/quote]

Unique visitors or page hits? If the former, it's hard to gauge without knowing what the average number of page hits per unique visitor is.

Given there's ~ 90k seconds a day, it's not a huge load that we're talking about - even if the one SQL server attends to all aspects of the site (forum, wiki, front pages, etc).

Quote:This can cause a high load for the server, and this is why that page makes the SQL server and the CPU to "take a breath" between queries and other tasks.

Can you swim without taking a small breath every couple of seconds?

That's an interesting explanation - but I don't understand it.

If you are delaying every search result by 1 or 2 seconds (rather than every page load - which we're clearly not seeing here) it doesn't mean you have less load. it just means that your load is offset by 1 or 2 seconds - which has got to result in a nearly identical load profile for your server.

Or, if you prefer, it's like taking the same number of breaths, the same amount of air intake, the same space between breaths - just you held off taking your first breath by 2 seconds.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB