Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is it a good idea to read a 1.7 ci book?

[eluser]chefnelone[/eluser]
hi, I just bought a 1.7 ci book. Just wondering if should I wait for a 2.0 ci book instead.
Will I waste my time reading it since the 2.0 version release is round the corner?

[eluser]benjamin[/eluser]
I'm a total CI n00b, but a friend of mine had the 1.7 book -- it's a good read. However probably better to wait for 2.0.
Having said this, I'm not sure how different 2.0 will be...I just know that I made the mistake with Python 3.0 (ie not having waited for the 3.0 book last year)...

[eluser]CoolGoose[/eluser]
Read the ci 1.7 book, get used to 1.7.
Most of the things learned there will apply to the new 2.0 version as well.

[eluser]Mareshal[/eluser]
www.phpandstuff.com = best CI tutorials, screencasts from scratch

[eluser]Mr. Fulop[/eluser]
Yes, reading a book about Code Igniter is a very good idea. It will give you a direction in discovering this great php framework.
I started reading this one : CodeIgniter for Rapid PHP Application Development
But I really recommend this one: CodeIgniter 1.7

Here you have the bookstore: Packt Publishing

Good luck learning! Smile

I agree, I'll read it.
It would take 1 year or so for the a 2.0 ci book anyway.

cheers!

[quote author="Mareshal" date="1269061129"]www.phpandstuff.com = best CI tutorials, screencasts from scratch[/quote]

I'm a big fan of nettuts tutorials, I've watched all of the ci screencasts.
But I really like books, they keep you learning in a very organized way (if it's a good book).

I hope to see new ci books around.

[eluser]pendalpusher[/eluser]
the nuttuts tutorials are excellent. They really helped me move into the MVC way of thinking. which was the hardest part for me personally

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
I would rather advice you to buy a book on OOP (not specifically PHP oriented mind you) and wrap your head around OOP concepts and Design Patterns. It will help you a great deal more than a book which only targets one specific framework.

[quote author="n0xie" date="1269149521"]I would rather advice you to buy a book on OOP (not specifically PHP oriented mind you) and wrap your head around OOP concepts and Design Patterns. It will help you a great deal more than a book which only targets one specific framework.[/quote]

thanks n0xie, I'll take a look at OOP books.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB