Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Help with deciding what next to learn for a complete newbie

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi i come from a graphic design background and i have recently been made redundant so I have time on my hands to learn a programming language for I want to be competent in making nice dynamic sites with backend CMS. When i was a designer I occasionally made simple pretty html/css sites for friends etc but they obviously were static and limiting. Any way I really want to learn something new to further the web side of my skills and at the moment don't know what the next step should be for someone like me.

I recently started to learn php from a lynda.com course but then got worried reading various stuff on the net that maybe php is a bit old hat compared to languages such as ruby and perl. So I change track and started to learning rubyonrails for which I'm currently doing. But i'm still not completely confident that I'm heading down the right track. I think i might be trying to do something a little out of my depth, I I know I will never be professional programer and neither do I wish to be, my forte is more visual based, but I really want to offer the complete package to clients without having to hire a programmer all the time.

I know this is is a framework and that php should be learnt before this, but rubyonrails shares a similar MVC architecture I'm told, so I'm asking you ignitors if codeigniter & php sounds a better match for my needs over other languages? Oh I also found rubyonrails very lacking in tutorials etc about how to make websites. something that doesn't seem a problem for codeignitor, and was unsure about rubyonrail's reliance on the terminal.

So basically I need a kick from you guys in the right direction to stop myself going nowhere wondering whether I have taken the right path. I need a language that will still be around. fresh and relevant in five years to come. Please help me decide as I'm currently going nowhere with indecision.

Any way thankyou for reading this rather lenghty post and sorry that I waffled a bit along the way

[eluser]mi6crazyheart[/eluser]
Hey , Codeigniter is PHP based framework. So, if u want to lean about codeigniter then u've to learn PHP. Any other language knowledge except PHP will not help you at all.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB