Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Database interaction

[eluser]erik.brannstrom[/eluser]
Hi,

I am rather curious to how people are interacting with their databases when building CodeIgniter applications. Are you simply using the standard approach using CI's Active Record class, one of the CI specific ORMs (e.g. DataMapper OverZealous Edition) or the massive Doctrine/Propel/etc?

There are of course pros and cons to each of these approaches and there are obviously differences between building a small static website and a large-scale social network, but it'd be interesting to hear how you guys reason about this in general.

Best regards,
Erik

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
once you try Doctrine there's no turning back

[eluser]erik.brannstrom[/eluser]
[quote author="GSV Sleeper Service" date="1269886230"]once you try Doctrine there's no turning back[/quote]

I actually started rewriting an application of mine to use Doctrine 1.2 after reading the excellent tutorials on phpandstuff.com, however it just feels so heavy. Also, it kind of scared me that there are left-of-decimal-point updates coming to both CI and Doctrine in the foreseeable future and I don't feel like writing a lot of code that will be deprecated in a matter of months.

Have you perhaps looked into this? I do like Doctrine, even though I think they should go through their documentation, and it certainly is powerful, but is it worth it?

[eluser]ciGR[/eluser]
I start with CI active record and now I use DataMapper OverZealous Edition.

[eluser]JoostV[/eluser]
Active record and sometimes manual SQL, on those rare occasions where active record just doesn't do the trick.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB