Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter presentation

[eluser]Revell[/eluser]
Hello all,

I've only recently started using CodeIgniter and so far I'm really digging it. I bought the "CodeIgniter 1.7" book from Packt to get me started and it's been a real help so far.

Thing is that the company I work for currently uses CakePHP as their standard framework to develop in. Nobody is satisfied with how it works but none of them has ever taken the initiative to look at different frameworks to develop in. I decided to change this.

Now I have a presentation scheduled for tomorrow afternoon on CI and how it could help our company move forward. I was wondering if any of you ever had a similar situation like mine or has also had a presentation about CI. Of course the CakePHP bashing is easy (slow, clunky, memory consuming, etc.) but I need some more triggers to help convince them to switch.

Any help is welcome!

[eluser]danielpetrie[/eluser]
Well, when I was looking between CakePHP and CI a couple months back, the major thing that made me decide upon CI was the documentation. CI's documentation has to be among the best I've seen.

For more in depth comparison, hopefully some people that have used both framework will reply.

[eluser]Revell[/eluser]
Yeah, that was the reason of my choice for CI as well. Together with the large community surrounding it and the knowledge therein.

Below I've linked to the presentation I've created so far, it's not much but I think it suffices.
PowerPoint
Keynote

After the last slide ("Example") I'm showing a small Contact Manager app which I've built using CI.

[eluser]Terry Valladon[/eluser]
I big point for me was that a tool should conform to how YOU work, not the other way around.

I found that CodeIgniter offered a set of tools to be used while Cake forced you to adapt to their thinking on how things should/must be done.

I have worked on a professional level with both Cake and CodeIgniter and I found that Cake works great if you can define, control and establish the database structure to start with, but if your forced to work with an existing database structure you loose the few things that make Cake worthwhile.

A tool should help you, not hinder you... Codeigniter acts like a tool, not a task master.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB