Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Scaffolding deprecated? Options for CRUD?

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Not only that but this is from the Codeigniter 2.0 changelog.

Scaffolding, having been deprecated for a number of versions, has been removed.

Enjoy
InsiteFX

[eluser]mikelbring[/eluser]
I think you may be wasting your time researching scaffolding methods when you could be just writing it your self.

[eluser]ray023[/eluser]
[quote author="evolutionxbox" date="1270077534"]Sorry, I thought I was being helpful.[/quote]
FWIW, you just helped me. ty.

[eluser]evolutionxbox[/eluser]
[quote author="ray023" date="1276741594"][quote author="evolutionxbox" date="1270077534"]Sorry, I thought I was being helpful.[/quote]
FWIW, you just helped me. ty.[/quote]

=) Your welcome!

[eluser]edward.meshuris[/eluser]
Hello,
Long time windows developer, just dipping my toes into the php world.
Decided to try CI, and well... I'm kind of disappointed.
Please, do not get into some kind of rant response that has anything to do with MS.
All I see are 2 outdated tutorials, with incorrect code and features that are missing, this is just plain sloppy and not very nOOb friendly.

I'm not looking for opinions on why scaffolding should not be used.
The point I am making is that, as a POC, to quickly create a site, scaffolding is indeed very helpful.

-Edward

[eluser]evolutionxbox[/eluser]
[quote author="edward.meshuris" date="1302773244"]Please, do not get into some kind of rant response that has anything to do with MS.[/quote]
- We do not care about MS here, CodeIgniter is the topic of conversation.

[quote author="edward.meshuris" date="1302773244"]All I see are 2 outdated tutorials, with incorrect code and features that are missing, this is just plain sloppy and not very nOOb friendly.[/quote]
- Where are you looking? The tutorials are easy/'noob friendly' and the user guide is probably the best documentation available.

[quote author="edward.meshuris" date="1302773244"]I'm not looking for opinions on why scaffolding should not be used.[/quote]
- I am sorry but we were responding to someone else's query... we advised him not to use scaffolding for a cms site and we agree that it is good to quickly fill a database but is not secure to use as an admin back-end.

[eluser]edward.meshuris[/eluser]
[quote author="evolutionxbox" date="1302840356"][quote author="edward.meshuris" date="1302773244"]Please, do not get into some kind of rant response that has anything to do with MS.[/quote]
- We do not care about MS here, CodeIgniter is the topic of conversation.

Quote:[quote author="edward.meshuris" date="1302773244"]All I see are 2 outdated tutorials, with incorrect code and features that are missing, this is just plain sloppy and not very nOOb friendly.
- Where are you looking? The tutorials are easy/'noob friendly' and the user guide is probably the best documentation available.[/quote]
Not nOOb friendly, because, when I watch a tutorial, I follow along, very closely to what the presenter is doing. So when anything differs it is very frustrating.
I am looking at the following link: http://codeigniter.com/tutorials/
1. The folder structure of the latest version differs from the tutorial.
2. The syntax is different ie: Controller vs CI_Controller.
3. There was another nuance, I am at work and cannot see the code.
4. I did not see the 'Table of Contents' link on your user guide, it looked blank, this is my fault, it does look very well organized.

Quote:[quote author="edward.meshuris" date="1302773244"]I'm not looking for opinions on why scaffolding should not be used.
- I am sorry but we were responding to someone else's query... we advised him not to use scaffolding for a cms site and we agree that it is good to quickly fill a database but is not secure to use as an admin back-end.[/quote][/quote]
It is a shame that it is removed from your library, its the biggest negative that I see.

-Edward

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Scaffolding was removed because:
- nobody used it
- functionality was very limited
- everyone wrote their own
- anyone who needs simple data entry is using phpmyadmin

After you've finished your first application, you should have all generic code available for crud operations that you can re-use in every new application you're going to write.

[eluser]web-johnny[/eluser]
If you want a simple solution of a scaffolding you can try grocery CRUD . It is designed for you to make a quick CRUD , more secure and easy to use by customers. and in the future you can add some more copmplex code. You can view the link in my signature :-)

[eluser]runs.amock[/eluser]
wow, grocery crud looks cool.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB