Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
codeigniter 2 will still support php4?

[eluser]echoDreamz[/eluser]
Really? People are still using PHP 4? Its a shame that hosting providers are still providing their clients with unsupported scripting engines.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="echoDreamz" date="1271040482"]Really? People are still using PHP 4? Its a shame that hosting providers are still providing their clients with unsupported scripting engines.[/quote]

The quality of hosting services vary so greatly that it shouldn't really be that shocking to you.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Also why would anyone upgrade a mission critical server from PHP4 to PHP5 if the code was written in PHP4? Sure it will work in PHP5, but upgrades can go wrong and as long as the code doesn't change, there is no benefit in upgrading. A lot of companies run PHP4 for the same reason they use IE6: if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

[eluser]echoDreamz[/eluser]
[quote author="skunkbad" date="1271041670"][quote author="echoDreamz" date="1271040482"]Really? People are still using PHP 4? Its a shame that hosting providers are still providing their clients with unsupported scripting engines.[/quote]

The quality of hosting services vary so greatly that it shouldn't really be that shocking to you.[/quote]

This is true unfortunately Smile. I for one DO NOT offer PHP 4 at all to any of my clients. PHP 5.2 and 5.3 is all I offer.

[quote author="n0xie" date="1271042017"]Also why would anyone upgrade a mission critical server from PHP4 to PHP5 if the code was written in PHP4? Sure it will work in PHP5, but upgrades can go wrong and as long as the code doesn't change, there is no benefit in upgrading. A lot of companies run PHP4 for the same reason they use IE6: if it ain't broken, don't fix it.[/quote]

Mission critical apps generally also need support behind them. PHP4 has no updates, no patches, no security fixes etc. While the saying "If it aint broke dont fix it" statement is nice, most of the time it is not hard to make a PHP4 web app work in PHP5. I have had almost no complications in any of the scripts I have had from YEARS ago in getting them to work in PHP 5.

If the whole world went with that moto, we would not get anywhere Smile.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
If you don't want to lose PHP 4 support then don't upgrade to CodeIgniter 2.0. "Shimples!"

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB