Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CSScaffold in CodeIgniter

[eluser]Johnathan1707[/eluser]
Hi, please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.
This will be my first time using CodeIgniter, I'm just playing around trying to get used to it and was wondering if anyone had use CSScaffold along with CodeIgniter? I haven't used CSScaffold before as I haven't had anything big enough to use it on but I have a project coming up that I would like to use CSScaffold and CodeIgniter on.

Thank you Smile

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
Checked out CSScaffold, and seems like a neat concept. I don't see any particular reason why they couldn't be used together. I know there are people on both sides of the fence when it comes to using CSS frameworks like 960, Blueprint, YAML etc. This takes it to a whole another level. I have used both 960 and Blueprint, and like 960 a little better, however, I don't see the need to have your stylesheets created on the fly by php. I can see the benefit of creating demos/custom frameworks for mockups, but once you have a layout complete, how often do you see changing your grid and such?

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
Yes, CSScaffold would work entirely separate from CI so you can use them together with no problem. Ofcourse there will be overhead using that system(.css files will be handled with mod_php(or cgi) = much more memory consuming) but if you are alright with that then go ahead and use it Smile

[quote author="pickupman" date="1271630674"]Checked out CSScaffold, and seems like a neat concept. I don't see any particular reason why they couldn't be used together. I know there are people on both sides of the fence when it comes to using CSS frameworks like 960, Blueprint, YAML etc. This takes it to a whole another level. I have used both 960 and Blueprint, and like 960 a little better, however, I don't see the need to have your stylesheets created on the fly by php. I can see the benefit of creating demos/custom frameworks for mockups, but once you have a layout complete, how often do you see changing your grid and such?[/quote]

Well it's not really for the grids, more for the variables and functions. I can have all my colours set up as variables and when I need to change anything I change that one variable instead of changing every part of the CSS that uses that colour. I can also have functions for thing like border-radius so instead of writing 3 lines I can write one.

Will it slow my site down that much using it? Like slower than it would if I weren't using CodeIgniter? I've heard that CSScaffold is pretty fast itself.

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
Just try it Smile Write the same stylesheet with normal css and then with CSScaffold. Then compare those with for example Pagespeed or YSlow and see how much is the difference. Remember, CI has nothing to do with the results. Its separate thing in this as the CSS loaded with/without CSScaffold is entirely different http request.

Well I can do it with CSScaffold then take then take the CSS generated with CSScaffold and serve it statically.
Thanks for your help Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB