Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Getting Unique Visitor

[eluser]asmedrano[/eluser]
Howdy Fellow Ignitors,

Im trying to find a solution for making sure a visitor is unique to prevent fraudulent voting on an application I am developing.

So essentially, someone will be able to vote on something, but only once.
I dont want to go the session or cookie route cause that can be forged or deleted easily.
I considered IP address logging but i dont want to prevent a whole household or building from being able to vote because they are all sharing the same IP.

So I'm wondering if there is a way to get some sort of UNIQUE element that could be logged from a users computer. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
If the goal is to allow anonymous voting, then I think you're out of options. Most people solve this with cookies, but that's not fool-proof. Afaik there is no unique element you can retrieve from the client-side.

If you have logged in users, it becomes quite easy, as you can identify every user (p.e. by user_id or user_name).

[eluser]asmedrano[/eluser]
Yeah thats sad. I might consider some sort of sign in with facebook or twitter feature.
I just hate signing up for more stuff Tongue so I dont want to make users sign up for something ELSE
Thanks for the reply.

-a

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB