Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Thoughts on a Hosted CMS

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello CI community, I'm coming from the EE forms as my latest project does not fit with EE licensing options.

I hope to get some thoughtful responses from veteran application architects, so thank you in advance if you decide to offer any input.

My team's goal is to create a 100% Hosted CMS solution built on the CI framework. As with any Hosted CMS, we would create a system capable of adding "site accounts", managing URL detection and routing, advanced access control, etc. The CMS itself is for a specific target market, not something that will be usable for the average site. We have experience building web applications and CMSs, but not a Hosted solution, and little experience with CodeIgniter.

What are your thoughts on using CI as a platform for this type of project? Positive and Negative?

Are there any addons or modules that you feel would be essential?

As we add clients into the system, the app will become data heavy and asset heavy - any advice relative to scaling and performance?

Thanks for reading!

[eluser]Kumar Chetan sharma[/eluser]
Well, I have been trying to build up a CMS solution on top of CI. I once had studied and more or less worked on a multi-tenant or a hosted solution. The idea was to
a) maintain configs for each site/instance - this will take care of site specific db connections and or licenses keys, languages etc
b) maintain assets for each site separately - this will avoid mapping assets to db and then some unnecessary db calls to load those assets
c) maintain a main repo for code that will hold all the modules/features
d) create a base template config that loads a base set of features
e) create a control panel that allows the super admin to alter the configs for each site, this basically meant modifying base template config created in d)

Later on I got to work on an enterprise level project for a large telecom product company, they opted for CI coz its fast. They didn't tinker with base CI installation but some how and cleverly tweaked configs and wrote some libs to achieve a hosted solution. My bad, I lost the code and moreover it was unethical and illegal too to use their code.

Do let me know what are your ideas. :-)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB