Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Print pagination help

[eluser]georgeedwards[/eluser]
Hello everyone! Hope you're all well..

Could anyone help me with a little bit of a traditional PHP/logic problem? (my brain is really not working today).

Situation is, I have a client project in CI that prints out load sheets for lorries (they are a delivery firm). I.e. there will be several "delivery runs" a day, then each run will have several deliveries for that day. Traditional nested foreach type thing. There is a view that does this and it is very basic. But I want to try and smarten it up with a pagination/page count e.g. Page 1 of 3 etc.

Put simply, it's like this (code is stripped down completely for simplicity):

Code:
<?php foreach ($runs as $run): ?>
  <?php $total_pages = ceil(count($run['deliveries'])/5);?>

<h1>Runsheet #&lt;?=$run['id']?&gt; (&lt;?=$total_pages?&gt; sheets)</h1>
  Driver name: &lt;?=$run['firstname']?&gt; &lt;?=$run['lastname']?&gt;
  Run totals: &lt;?=$run['totalitems']?&gt; plts at &lt;?=$run['totalweight_kg']?&gt;kg

&lt;?php $i = 0; ?&gt;
  &lt;?php foreach($run['deliveries'] as $delivery): ?&gt;

&lt;?php $i++; ?&gt;

<hr/>
    // echo out delivery information here...
    <hr/>

&lt;?php if ($i % 5 == 0) echo '<div style="page-break-after:always;></div>'; ?&gt;
  &lt;?php endforeach; ?&gt;

&lt;?php endforeach; ?&gt;

As you can see I've managed to set it so that only 5 deliveries get shown per page, and it breaks after that. On that basis, I've also used ceil() to work out how many pages there will be if there is 5 deliveries on each.

But I can't for the life of me workout how to set either a header or a footer saying "Page 1 of 3 / Page 2 of 3" and so on through the pages.

Anyone have any ideas to point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your time Smile

[eluser]dmorin[/eluser]
I really don't know if you can set header/footer text when printing from a browser. It would seem like generating PDFs instead of just html would give you much more flexibility to do what you're looking to do. are PDFs a viable option?

One other option would be to see if you can just configure the browser to print the page X or Y since it's the one generally responsible for header/footer text.

[eluser]georgeedwards[/eluser]
[quote author="dmorin" date="1273178126"]I really don't know if you can set header/footer text when printing from a browser. It would seem like generating PDFs instead of just html would give you much more flexibility to do what you're looking to do. are PDFs a viable option?

One other option would be to see if you can just configure the browser to print the page X or Y since it's the one generally responsible for header/footer text.[/quote]

Hey! Thanks for your reply.

PDFs are an option, but as I have the system pretty much finished now, and everything is working ok, I don't really want to back track and rewrite all the views etc for a library like FPDF... especially when just looking at the docs for the common PDF libs scare me... it's like learning a whole new language. It looks so complicated to do something so simple!

And regarding browser page numbers, yes it would be a viable option, except that I am printing a batch of sheets from one view, so I would need to "restart numbering" as such for each group. Otherwise I would get a total Page X of Y for the entire set, whereas I want to have individual numbering for each set.

Thanks for your help though Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB