Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
On new server error: "Trying to get property of non-object"

[eluser]ortsanfang[/eluser]
Today I moved my application to a new server and since hours I can't figure out what's wrong.

1. On the old server (Apache 2, PHP 4.3.10-22, MySQL 4.0.24) everything is fine.

2. On the new server - with the same code and database - I get many "A PHP Error was encountered: Trying to get property of non-object" errors. (Apache 2. PHP 5.2.0-8+etch7, MySQL 5.0.32). The errors occur (as I can see) whenever I use validation constructions like

Code:
<?=($this->validation->priv_phone) ? ($this->validation->priv_phone) : ($contact_data->priv_phone);?>

3. To check if there's a problem with my new server's configuration I installed XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org / Apache 2, PHP 5.2.1, MySQL 5.0.37) on my local Linux machine. Same problems.

Any hints, what can be wrong? I'm confused because in all cases it's the same code.

[eluser]coolfactor[/eluser]
I'd look at getting that PHP 5 version updated. It's slightly old and there were known problems in the 5.2.0 distribution. It's possible it's not passing and setting variables correctly in the view.

So I need to compile PHP myself on the Debian Etch server? Do you now a good tutorial where this is explained step by step?

Switched in XAMPP to PHP4 and everything is immediately right. Coolfactor, I'm pretty sure, that your assumption is correct; though I wonder, why nobody else has troubles with 5.2.x. Nobody running Debian Etch?

Upgraded to 5.2.3 without success: same errors as in 5.2.0 und 5.2.1 :-(

Is it possible that there's a compatibility issue with CodeIgniter an these PHP versions?

[eluser]coolfactor[/eluser]
[quote author="ortsanfang" date="1189043680"]Upgraded to 5.2.3 without success: same errors as in 5.2.0 und 5.2.1 :-(

Is it possible that there's a compatibility issue with CodeIgniter an these PHP versions?[/quote]

Not sure what to suggest. However, I would avoid shortcuts and the awkward code you have here:

Code:
<?=($this->validation->priv_phone) ? ($this->validation->priv_phone) : ($contact_data->priv_phone);?>

1. don't use the short tags
2. you don't need brackets around atomic values

I'd write it like so:
Code:
<?php echo ($this->validation->priv_phone ? $this->validation->priv_phone : $contact_data->priv_phone); ?>

I doubt that's the source of the problem, but it was worth a shot.

Coolfactor, thank you very much for your support. Unfortunately, changing the code as suggested didn't solve the problem. Is there a PHP setting which can prevent corret variable passing?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB