Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
sharing CI codebase?

[eluser]tyuwan[/eluser]
Hi guys! I have 3 sites running with CI. My question are should I share the CI codebase between 3 sites with symlink or should each use their own CI?

Would sharing boost the performances or does it make any different at all?

[eluser]Sarfaraz Momin[/eluser]
Well sharing the codebase won't do any performance boosts to the sites but yes the upgrades and things like that will be taken care of. Also you will definitely save on space for 3 different sets of codeigniter. If the server is same its recommended to share the framework codebase and use different application folders. But it more of a personal choice what you want to do. I have instances where I have shared codebase and instances where its not done. So more of a personal choice.

-Sarfaraz.

[eluser]tyuwan[/eluser]
Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to make sure if it make any different beside saving some space and upgrades. I don't think it would save that much of space either way.

[eluser]srpurdy[/eluser]
[quote author="tyuwan" date="1273320383"]Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to make sure if it make any different beside saving some space and upgrades. I don't think it would save that much of space either way.[/quote]

Some other good reasons to do it this way. I actually run about 8 sites off 1 CI install. I got a bit tired trying to put all the librarys I needed into different applications, so now they are included from the start! Some sites will use some of those and not others, but they are always there if I need them, which saved me the hassle. I'm not too organized so if I had 1 library before, and needed it for another project I had no idea where it was. LOL

So it helps keep things simple. Smile

Shawn

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB