Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI controller function is ignored

[eluser]den-javamaniac[/eluser]
Hi. I'm trying to pass through a CI tutorial (writing a simple forum) and I can't make a controller function called. To be more specific I have this in a controller:

Code:
function  __construct() {
        parent::Controller();
                $this->load->helper('url');
    }

function index() {
            $data['title'] = "Wlcome to Gossip";
            $data['heading'] = "Welcome to Gossip";
            $data['query'] = $this->db->get('topic')->result();
            $this->load->view('welcome', $data);
    }

function topic() {
            echo 'testing...';
        }
and when I'm trying to access the /index.php/forum/topic/ uri (Forum is the name of my controller class) it just prints out contents of index() function. Defining next in a controller:

Code:
function _remap($method){
            if ($method == 'topic'){
                $this->topic();
            } else if ($method == 'index'){
                $this->index();
            }
        }
results in only index method name passed. If tested for other controller names result remains the same. Can any one point out what may cause the problem?

NOTE: this issue is also discussed here.

[eluser]erik.brannstrom[/eluser]
I copied your code and tried it myself with the only difference that I only echoed a line of text in the index method. For me, everything worked fine so it seems the problem must be something else. Have you set any routes for example?

Well, I get a very strange error:

If routes are not set (some default value is not assigned) like this:
Code:
$route['default_controller'] = "";
$route['scaffolding_trigger'] = "";
I can't get to any controller (I've created another one for testing) - it prints out an
Code:
"Unable to determine what should be displayed. A default route has not been specified in the routing file."
error. So this looks like I can only get to some predefined controller index method. Is it possible that some php installation module/param/etc was not defined or alike?

That error message is displayed when one is trying to access index.php without a default controller set. You said you still got this message when going to index.php/forum/topic/? Have you created a htaccess file?

You said you still got this message when going to index.php/forum/topic/? - that's correct.

Yes, I did. It lies in a project root directory (the same as index.php) and has next content:
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /index.php$1 [L]

You shouldn't use index.php since you are rewriting the URL. Also, for me it worked if I changed the last line to the following, perhaps that will work for you too.
Code:
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php/$1 [L]

Nope, It didn't help me. Could you provide more details on "You shouldn’t use index.php since you are rewriting the URL."?

The .htaccess file redirects all requests to your index.php file. This is done so your URLs will look "cleaner", i.e. instead of www.example.com/index.php/forum you go to www.example.com/forum. Have you tried removing the htaccess file completely and then access index.php/forum/topic?

If I remove .htaccess completely I can easily go to index.php/forum/ and get a proper content. If I remove default controller in remote I still get the error. In fact that file did most certainly nothing (at list I couldn't see any changes/use it properly) so I'm removing it for now. Any other ideas?

To me it seems your problem is the htaccess file. Do some searches on the subject, there are a number of standard files for removing index.php from your URLs. As I said before, your CI-code looks alright (though at the moment there is no reason to have the _remap method). Hope it works out!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB