Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
drop downs, array syntax name, re-population

[eluser]theprodigy[/eluser]
My apologies if this has already been asked, but a quick search brought no results.

I have a drop down on my form, that beside that drop down is a '+' link that uses javascript to add another duplicate drop down. These drop downs have an array syntax name (like "actor[]").

I'm trying to figure out the best way to re-populate the drop downs when the form is re-shown due to a form error.

Does anyone have any good ideas?

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
You have to do a foreach loop and echo out each option element.
Code:
<select name="actor">
&lt;?php foreaach($actor as $item):?&gt;

<option value="&lt;?=$item['value'];?&gt;" &lt;?=set_select('actor',$item['value']);?&gt; >&lt;?=$item['name'];?&gt;</option>

&lt;?php endforeach;?&gt;
</select>

I'm not talking about the number of options in a select, I'm talking about a dynamic number of selects.

Take a look at [link removed] to see what I'm talking about.

When you get there, click the + link next to actors. Another complete drop down will show up. When this is submitted, it is submitted as an array, because of the name of the elements ('actors[]').

If when the form is submitted, there is an error, and I need to repopulate the form, I'm trying to figure out the best way to tell how many selects to reproduce, and how to properly set each one.

ok, I think I got it. If there is a more effecient way of doing it, I'm all ears, but here is how I did it.
Controller:
the name of the element is 'actors[]', but I need to grab it by 'actors' (without the [])
Code:
$this->data['actors_submitted'] = array();
if($this->input->post('actors'))
{
    $this->data['actors_submitted'] = $this->input->post('actors');
}
View:
Code:
&lt;?php
            if(! empty($actors_submitted))
            {
                $id = 1;
                foreach($actors_submitted as $actor)
                {
                    echo form_dropdown('actors[]', $actors, $actor, 'id="actor_' . $id . '"');
                    if($id == 1)
                    {
                        echo '<a href="#">+</a>';
                    }
                    if($id < count($actors_submitted))
                    {
                        echo '<br />';
                    }
                    $id++;
                }
            }
            else
            {
                echo form_dropdown('actors[]', $actors, '', 'id="actor_1"') . '<a href="#">+</a>';
            }
        ?&gt;

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB