Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Quick and easy development of database oriented app -- is CI capable?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello everybody,
I'm in process of selecting a PHP framework for my application and at first sight I like CodeIgniter. I have a general question, since I need to know if it will satisfy my needs.

I need a framework that would help me in creating an application focused around a database. I mean that I want to be able to for example define that a "document" has a "header" and some "lines" (take an invoice for example). I'd like the framework to take care about the interface to add or delete lines to document, perform validation of data and so on.

In other words I need a framework that would allow me to define the structure of the information that I want to have stored in a DB, and a framework should generate the interface for that, create tables and so on.

I imagine for example that in a user's browser supported javascript, adding a line to a document would employ JS (or AJAX), and if a browser had JS turned off, it would work server-side. I further imagine that I could define some validation rules for the data that is inserted and if some of them were violated a framework would raise an action that I could customize (for example highlight the field and forbid saving the document). And some way to process the document would be useful -- by assigning different statuses to it and assigning it to different people (sort of like a workflow application).

Is there such a functionality in CodeIgniter? Or is there an addon for this? Or maybe it is possible in some other framework?
Thanks for help!

[eluser]leonardteo[/eluser]
Sounds like you need most of the application made for you within the framework!

CI can do a lot of things, and for many things like active record databases, form validation, it does already have built-in functionality that works quite well out of the box. The issue is that as you want specific functionality, you're going to have to build that yourself. There's no real other way and I haven't come across any framework which is different.

"I’d like the framework to take care about the interface to add or delete lines to document, perform validation of data and so on."

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you're asking for the ability to add or delete line items to an invoice, again that's application specific and you need to code that yourself.

"In other words I need a framework that would allow me to define the structure of the information that I want to have stored in a DB, and a framework should generate the interface for that, create tables and so on."

No. CodeIgniter doesn't do that. You define the structure of the data in the database. The framework simply makes it quicker easier to build robust applications.

If you're looking for something where you type in a structure, and the framework magically generates all the tables, and CRUD forms (scaffolding), take a look at Ruby on Rails. My only caution there is that scaffolding is only temporary. As soon as you need to build out specific functionality, you *have* to custom code. No framework is going to do that for you.

L.

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
That's not a framework, that's an application.

[eluser]Zack Kitzmiller[/eluser]
I think what you need is to hire a developer that will write an application for you. :p

No 'framework' is going to do all of the work for you. A framework by definition is a starting point. Something you can quickly build off of.

That being said. I think the closest thing to what your are looking for is Django, which is a Python web framework.

[eluser]Mark Croxton[/eluser]
If you need a generic database table editor/CRUD tool this might be of interest to you:
http://www.phpmyedit.org/

But tbh it sounds like you need someone to design and build you the application.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB