Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Site Search with CI

[eluser]zoonix[/eluser]
I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times, but I'll be dogged if I can find it.

What are the recommendations for setting up site searching with CI? I just want setup some simple content searching to start out, but I don't know what will happen if the site grows quite large. Does anyone know of a guide or and existing thread on the subject?

Thanks!

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
I wrote a solution for this, you can find it in my sig. It's not a finished product but probably much on the way to a final solution...

[eluser]zoonix[/eluser]
Thanks Jelmer, that looks quite promising. Any idea how well your system scales? Say over 100K pages?

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
I think my solution works best for smaller websites, for larger ones I'd suggest looking into mySQL full text search (which, in turn, doesn't work that well for smaller websites). But I haven't done any testing so I don't know for sure, only that while doing research I found that full text search isn't that good for smaller websites and I didn't really like the approach using LIKE statements.

EDIT: I of course did some testing using it in my current implementation tested with about 60 pages. When using a the join option (so the search result table is joined with the pages table) it takes about 3x as long to do a search query with 2 words as it does to request a normal page (which needs 2 joins). On the whole page load time the difference is marginal.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB