Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
codeigniter without mod_rewrite?

[eluser]outtolunch[/eluser]
Hello, it does probably sound as a dumb question, but...Is it possible to hide "index.php" without using the mod_rewrite module within apache?

Because my hosting provider has got this turned off and told me to create a custom php.ini file to enable it or something.

Honestly, I have no idea what the hell they talking about.

Please do help me.

[eluser]2think[/eluser]
Mod_rewrite is pretty standard for quite a lot of projects so I don't understand how a hosting provider would have that turned off.

Also, I would guess that most people use mod_rewrite with CodeIgniter so it may prove difficult if you had another solution.

Is it too expensive or too difficult to switch hosting companies?

Well, I just don't wanna pay again.

I asked them is it possible to turn it on and this is what they replied to me:

"Yes you can, you will just have to override the settings by enabling them within the .htaccess file for your account."

How do I need to understand this?

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
[quote author="outtolunch" date="1275596131"]Well, I just don't wanna pay again.

I asked them is it possible to turn it on and this is what they replied to me:

"Yes you can, you will just have to override the settings by enabling them within the .htaccess file for your account."

How do I need to understand this?[/quote]

This is an overly technical way of saying "It will take me 15 seconds to make this change, but I'm pretty lazy so I'm going to try and talk you out of making me do it"

Also, http://codeigniter.com/wiki/mod_rewrite/

Quote:<IfModule !mod_rewrite.c>
# If we don't have mod_rewrite installed, all 404's
# can be sent to index.php, and everything works as normal.
# Submitted by: ElliotHaughin

ErrorDocument 404 /index.php
</IfModule>

You made my day Smile Thanks!

[eluser]Burak Guzel[/eluser]
Be aware that the 404 solution will send 404 headers with your pages, instead of 200.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB