Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Help setting up a development area on my computer.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello, I'm really stuck on how to use this PHP Framework.

In the past I've used Zend Framework and it comes with Zend Studio so that's pretty easy to use in comparison to every other PHP framework.

How can I set up a program to help me use this framework? I've downloaded the codeigniter file, but it's just a bunch of folders and other things.

Can I use PHPStorm with CodeIgniter?

Thank you for the help.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi Stapia and welcome to the CI forums.

[quote author="stapia.gutierrez" date="1275854606"]
Hello, I'm really stuck on how to use this PHP Framework.
[/quote]

In general, your best bet is to go through the [url="/user_guide"]user guide[/url] especially the first couple of columns, and then to work through a few tutorials. The [url="/wiki/Category:Help::Tutorials"]Tutorial page[/url] in the wiki has a bunch of good examples - some textual, some text + pictures, some videos.

Quote:How can I set up a program to help me use this framework? I've downloaded the codeigniter file, but it's just a bunch of folders and other things.

Can I use PHPStorm with CodeIgniter?

Yes, you can. I don't know if PHPStorm has plugins to auto-detect CI-isms, but you can certainly use any editor to create your files. Typically you're working in a handful of directories (as explained in the user guide, and the tutorials) such as the controllers, views and models directories.

[eluser]mi6crazyheart[/eluser]
@stapia.gutierrez
As "Jedd" said & it's my personal experience also... installing CodeIgniter is really very easy. Just follow the User Guide instructions & that's all...

For installing CI : http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...index.html

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thank you for the replies.

I'm sure that I can make programs with Notepad, but that's not really a good idea because I'm used to have intellisense.

What IDE do you recommend I use that plays well with this Framework? Code completion is my biggest gripe.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="stapia.gutierrez" date="1275873298"]
I'm sure that I can make programs with Notepad, but that's not really a good idea because I'm used to have intellisense.
[/quote]

I wrote my last app(let) with vim.

Once you're familiar with the features of the language & libraries it's not that hard to write code without having your editor suggest function names for you.

Quote:What IDE do you recommend I use that plays well with this Framework? Code completion is my biggest gripe.

Do you mean CI stuff or PHP stuff?

If the latter, then most editors do this as a matter of course.

If the former, then I think textmate, and whatever that version for Windows was called - there was someone around here who did a bundle that works on both. I have a vague memory of someone demonstrating how you could get netbeans and/or eclipse to do completion of CI functions - but you'd have to trawl the forums for more information.

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
Netbeans (free) can take care of code completion. You have to an extra file into the netbeans project folder to tell netbeans what to look for. You can check it out here. I am currently using PHP Designer (commercial product), but autocompletes for any php project. I am using for CI, zencart, and wordpress. Just create a project folder, and it parses the folders in about 15secs. and away I go.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB