Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Code igniter installation - Can't get past the first welcome page

[eluser]bruceb[/eluser]
Hi Guys,

I downloaded CI v1.7.2 into /var/www/html/ for my CentOS 5.4. Browsing to /var/www/html/ci (which is the folder name for download and uzipped CI) gives me this:

Code:
Welcome to CodeIgniter!
The page you are looking at is being generated dynamically by CodeIgniter.

If you would like to edit this page you'll find it located at:

system/application/views/welcome_message.php
The corresponding controller for this page is found at:

system/application/controllers/welcome.php
If you are exploring CodeIgniter for the very first time, you should start by reading the User Guide.

Page rendered in 0.0131 seconds

I tried different URI PATH methods and none of them worked. I also did the troublshooting:

Code:
$config['index_page'] = "index.php";
To this:
$config['index_page'] = "index.php?";

But that didn't help either. I still see the above page. My understanding is that if I have everything right I should be met by an installation page where it will do the database creation and rest of CI installation??!!!

I have not change any default directory names and I didn't put my web path as an IP and as a domain name like this: http://myvps.com/ci/

Thanks

[eluser]mi6crazyheart[/eluser]
Hey bruceb,
You are going absolutely right. Actu. CI doesn't help to create DB & DB table by providing a menu based layout as common CMS provide at the times of installation. It's only a framework of PHP. If u want to create , DB & DB table u've to do that manually. After creating DB you can connect CI by... opening the application/config/database.php file with a text editor and set your database settings.

[eluser]bruceb[/eluser]
Thanks for the input.

In that case, I don't want to use the Database. Given the current configuration I did, am I done the installation? am I not to see any admin page? Am I totally lost and should continue on reading next on how to start coding? I thought I will see something else on the main page once my setting is done properly.

Thanks again

[eluser]tomdelonge[/eluser]
I don't think codeigniter is quite what you might be looking for. Like mi6crazyheart stated, codeigniter is really just a framework. It's not a pre-made application. It doesn't have any administration section or database creation in the zip file. You'd have to create those yourself.

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
As others have said, CodeIgniter is an empty canvas. You paint the canvas with your coding. There is no pre-installed cms or anything you can use.

If you do some searching on the forums, there are CMS'es built using CodeIgniter. You can install those Smile

[eluser]mi6crazyheart[/eluser]
@bruceb
You are absolutely in right path Bruceb. What ever u saw after installation , that's exactly once can see after installation of CI. Now, whatever u've to build... follow the CI's user guide & try to make that by using u'r coding skills... All D Very Best

[eluser]bruceb[/eluser]
Got it now. Thanks guys. I guess the video tutorial threw me off as I thought there is Tree view to the files

http://codeigniter.com/tutorials/watch/intro/

I also thought that this framework is like Adobe Dreamweaver where once files are done, they are to be ported over to the actual web-server. However, if again I am not incorrect, CI framework is to reside on the web-server and will act as backbone for the website and one can develop on top of it like it is a canvas as mentioned in this thread.

I guess I am looking for an editor now, and so that brings me to CMS?! What CMS is best for a starter to use? first search got me to PyroCMS. Would you approve that?

Thanks

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
[quote author="bruceb" date="1276383827"]
I also thought that this framework is like Adobe Dreamweaver where once files are done, they are to be ported over to the actual web-server. However, if again I am not incorrect, CI framework is to reside on the web-server and will act as backbone for the website and one can develop on top of it like it is a canvas as mentioned in this thread.[/quote]

Dreamweaver doesn't care what the code is. If you setup a project to automatically upload on save, it will do it. Or if you use the synchronize feature, Dreamweaver compares directories, and will upload any file newer than what's on the server. I used to Dreamweaver on my CI sites with no problems.

Yes, PyroCMS is a good prebuilt CMS for CodeIgniter. I have not used it on a final site, but have played around with it, and read through some of the code. Works very well, and it's pretty easy to setup. It's provides alot of features for you, and simple enough that you can extend/add to its features.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB