Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
retaining a value in a controller variable

[eluser]ssachan[/eluser]
Hello Developers

I am stuck at a design issue.

I have a controller class which has a variable
var id
It is set in a function A and is required in all the
functions in this controller (lets say B, C and D)

Now functions B,C,D and called for my views which leads to
reinitialization of the controller and loss of id which was
set in function A.

The only solution I see is to pass the id to my views and then
again to all the functions B, C and D whenever they are called.

But I guess is this is not the best way to do it. Is there any way
I can set the value of id and retain it till its changed the next time.

Thanks

[eluser]erik.brannstrom[/eluser]
As you say, one idea is to pass them as parameters in the URL. If you wish to "hide" the variable value a better solution is to use sessions. Read up on it here: http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...sions.html

[eluser]ssachan[/eluser]
session and cookies are one way but then this is not session data. It is an id and the best way would
be to have a system to retain this value in my controller as I move between my controller and views.

So is there anyway ?

If it is a value that might differ between requests (that is, it is not a constant), as I see it you've got those two options, either pass them publicly in your URL via links or privately, using sessions, a database or file writes.

Session data is whatever data you keep in a session, so I don't see a reason why not to keep it there. Anyway, your description of the problem is a bit vague, so if you wish a more detailed answer please expand on exactly how you wish things to work.

[eluser]ssachan[/eluser]
ok, I am trying to setup a forum. So basically I am passing the topic id to this controller with handles all the comments for this topic.
Based on the topic id I load the view showing all the comments and for any new comments posted on this view, I am directed back to the same controller and I need to store the comment with the topic id.
What I want to do is store the topic id so that I don't need to pass it back and forth while I traverse between controller and view.
And clearly this is not a session data since I may open a lot of topics and hence I cannot override this data

Agreed. I would go with the link approach then, since one might want to bookmark these different views.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB