Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI 2.0 and the future

[eluser]Brian Dickson[/eluser]
From what I have seen so far, I like CodeIgniter, it is different from other PHP frameworks out there. It's small, good performance, and doesn't get in the way, leaving me with more freedom to code how I want.

Searching the CI forums, it seems that CI 2.0 have been in development for at least 3 - 4 years (I seen posts dating to 2006), is this an elusive milestone? is CI 2.0 like Gran Turismo 5?

Does CI have an ever growing install base?

Will CI ever become the massive behemoths like Zend Framework, Symphony and CakePHP (I hope not)?

Just some questions I'd like to know the answers to.

Thanks

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
Quote:Searching the CI forums, it seems that CI 2.0 have been in development for at least 3 - 4 years (I seen posts dating to 2006), is this an elusive milestone? is CI 2.0 like Gran Turismo 5?
I'd guess there have been questions about "2.0" pretty much for as long as CI's been around. There has been a consistent (but slow) development you can see in the changelog in 1.x versions but there wasn't anything official on a version 2. The real second version has only been anounced a short while ago and can be viewed in development on http://bitbucket.org/ellislab/codeigniter. It's at the base of EllisLab's recently announced new product (MojoMotor) and they'll probably upgrade the version at the base of ExpressionEngine as well. (EDIT: I was mistaken: it has been the base of EE2 since the beginning)
I wouldn't be too worried that they're not going to make very sure CI2.0 is going to be a very stable codebase and it probably won't take too long for a first release either.

Quote:Does CI have an ever growing install base?
I'm not sure what you mean by this? If you mean the number of libraries/helpers, there is some very small growth but I wouldn't worry about it becomes a huge number. That would pretty much defy the whole point of CI itself.

Quote:Will CI ever become the massive behemoths like Zend Framework, Symphony and CakePHP (I hope not)?
I'd guess about the time that hell freezes over ;-)

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
[quote author="Jelmer" date="1277152637"]It's at the base of EllisLab's recently announced new product (MojoMotor) and they'll probably upgrade the version at the base of ExpressionEngine as well.[/quote]

All of EllisLab's commercial products are running 2.0.

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
My bad, I thought EE2 was still CI1.7.2. Just checked and it's been called CI2.0 every since my first download of EE2.0.0pb1.

[eluser]pbreit[/eluser]
[quote author="Brian Dickson" date="1277151978"]Searching the CI forums, it seems that CI 2.0 have been in development for at least 3 - 4 years (I seen posts dating to 2006), is this an elusive milestone? is CI 2.0 like Gran Turismo 5?[/quote]

My sense is the opposite: CI 2.0 has not been in development so long and is already just about ready for prime time. Ellis Labs' products are running on 2.0. I think it was Derek who stated that if you are starting a new project, it's definitely fine to consider putting it on 2.0. There is evidence that CI will remain lean. 2.0 for example even drops some major features like plug-ins and scaffolding.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB