Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
New Web App - CI 1.7.2 or 2.0

[eluser]Sayian[/eluser]
I'm debating on if I should start a new project with 2.0 or the current stable release.

I know the "for the record" answer would be to use 1.7.2

Looking forward though, I just want to make sure I don't regret not starting with 2.0

I read about an issue where model names were being created as CI_Model instead of Model, and the devs weren't sure if they were going to do the same with Controller, or even keep CI_Model as so.

Yeah it would be simple search and replace, however I'd just like to know if anyone has any further updates about that issue.

So .. 2.0 .. or 1.7.2

Opinions please. ;p

Edit: Running php 5.3+ only, so no backwards compat for php4 is needed. I run a dedicated server so I can set my env up as needed. Forgot to mention that.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
2.0, no question about it.

No matter what the naming convention of 'Controller' is going to be, it will only affect you when you update to a newer '2.0' version that contains a change. At which time updating your controllers if a few minutes work...

[eluser]Sayian[/eluser]
Yeah, 2.0 is what I'm going with. Thanks for the input.

Just too many awesome changes to pass up.

Now, does anyone have a link to the new javascript / jquery libraries user manual pages?

Thats the only thing I cant seem to find Sad

[eluser]Mareshal[/eluser]
I am using 2.0 since they moved to bitbucket and I had no problems until now. If Controller changes to CI_Controller just gor for notepad++ and mass edit that name.

[eluser]John_Betong[/eluser]
Take a look at Phil Sturgeon's blog:

http://philsturgeon.co.uk/news/2010/05/u...gniter-2.0

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="WanWizard" date="1277339457"]2.0, no question about it.[/quote]

I wouldn't go quit that far. 2.0 has many great new features and is mostly stable but there still may be bugs and strange "happenings" that may confuse new users to CodeIgniter.

If you are just starting with CodeIgniter entirely or are not comfortable opening the source code to see whats going on then I would strongly suggest you stick to 1.7.2.

That said, if you like "living on the edge" and are able to detect, report or fix bugs then 2.0 could be great for you.

I personally start my new apps on 2.0 because I'm deeply in love with Application Packages, but 2.0 is not for everyone.

Either way, don't use plugins. :lol:

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
That is only true if it is less stable than 1.7.2.

Which I don't think is the case, 1.7.2 has its share of bugs and oddities as well, with the downside that nobody's working on fixing those, all effort is already going to 2.0.
I'm quite sure that everything you can do now with 1.7.2, you can also do with today's 2.0 rev. With the added bonus that some 1.7.2 issues might be fixed.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
[quote author="WanWizard" date="1277410629"]That is only true if it is less stable than 1.7.2.

Which I don't think is the case, 1.7.2 has its share of bugs and oddities as well, with the downside that nobody's working on fixing those, all effort is already going to 2.0.
I'm quite sure that everything you can do now with 1.7.2, you can also do with today's 2.0 rev. With the added bonus that some 1.7.2 issues might be fixed.[/quote]

This is true, I have fixed several 1.7.2 bugs that are now in the 2.0 core but nobody can test every library for everything. Generally CI 2.0 has been stable for months as remember EE 2.0 is running it, but there are some lesser used features that have since broken and many of the new features in 2.0 are not working 100%.

If you take your 1.7.2 app and run it in 2.0 it will generally work fine (PyroCMS is a perfect example) but there is far less support structure for 2.0 and if you Google for a problem you are much more likely to find an answer using 1.7.2, stable or not.

Hopefully my blathering makes sense. Basically, 2.0 is pretty good and pretty stable, but if you aren't comfortable debugging strange issues stick with 1.7.2 for now. :-)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB