Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI good for building a Knowledge Base?

[eluser]Wario[/eluser]
I'm looking for the best way to approach building a knowledge base web app. The concept is an app where users sign up or login and vote on particular topics and then have access to poll results on these particular topics. These results could be plugged into or linked to other social the user has.

I know there are already tons of KB web apps out there and polling websites like PollDaddy. This isn't anything new. The only thing new about it is me, AND hopefully the particular feel and purpose I have for this app. I also plan to have user attributes like zip code to filter results and make them useful.

I'm still learning CI and relatively new to PHP (been using and studying v5.3 for a couple of months). This community seems like a good place to start. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
-Mario

[eluser]sorenchr[/eluser]
There really isn't a right answer to this one, I believe it's a question of taste. CodeIgniter is a good and easy MVC framework once you get the hang of it, definetly a good choice for a beginners framework.

Your app doesn't sound like a major project, nor does it seem like you at some point would need massive scalability. Therefore, in that sense, CodeIgniter is definetly also a good choice.

Good luck with your project!

[eluser]Wario[/eluser]
Thanks!

I don't believe my project is super massive, but I do want the ability to scale it if need be. From what I've gathered so far it looks like CI is capable of handling that well to an extent. I don't intend to have this be an "eCommerce" app or something requiring bank account authorization, but the end goal is to have if scalable by user input, like an intricate forum, or like a "Craigslist" where it's built on the user's geographic location... different parts are added as new locations of users are added, and so. I hope that makes sense...

[eluser]sorenchr[/eluser]
It still sounds like CI is a good choice. Primarily because you are new to PHP. Regarding the scalability, I honestly do not know wether or not CI will be able to handle your future needs, that being said, your app would have to grow very complex and big before you would need to look at other frameworks. It also looks like some of your concerns regarding scalability actually are database-related.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB