Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Help solving mystery after deploying project..

[eluser]Jodah[/eluser]
Hello

I have been developing a not very complex project.. Basically a CRUD to a particular database, with authentication done trough a LDAP server and some ssh connection to deploy some of the info.

It took me some time and effort (i am REALLY new to both PHP and CODEIGNITER)
but i got a functional tool, and it was time to deploy it to a test production server.

I deployed the tool (uploaded the coedigniter folder), changed the config.php file and the database.php file to work on the new server.

But when i try and access the tool, all i get is a blank page instead of the login page.

after some "debbuging" using echos, i found that the flow stops when loading the /system/codeiginiter/CodeIgniter.php file trough the base index.php, after the line "$CI = new $class()".

The environment is exactly the same, with exception for the php version that is older in production server, but still above the minimum required by Codeigniter.

If anyone has any thoughts i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you for your time

[eluser]Simian Studios[/eluser]
Do you have PHP 5 on your development server and PHP 4 on the production server?

First thing that springs to mind is that the class contructors work slightly differently between 4 and 5, so that might be it.

What do your logs say?

[eluser]Jodah[/eluser]
See! Now there is a huge proof of my inexperience!

I don't know a thing about checking the logs. I think i actually read something about logs before, but could not get to them (or getting them to work). I will have to run by that again...

They are both PHP 5.

Thank you for the tip, i'll try and dig something up

Heh, the logs will become your best friend before too long Wink

The CI logs can be found in system/logs - there is a log file for each day. If those give you no joy, you could try your PHP system logs. To find those, do a phpinfo() and search for "error_log" - that should give you the path where PHP logs its errors to.

If both servers are running 5 then it's not what I initially suspected, but I imagine the logs will give the answer.

[eluser]Jodah[/eluser]
Thank you again

[eluser]Jodah[/eluser]
[quote author="Simian Studios" date="1278168609"]Heh, the logs will become your best friend before too long Wink

The CI logs can be found in system/logs - there is a log file for each day. If those give you no joy, you could try your PHP system logs. To find those, do a phpinfo() and search for "error_log" - that should give you the path where PHP logs its errors to.

If both servers are running 5 then it's not what I initially suspected, but I imagine the logs will give the answer.[/quote]

Well.. after messing around a bit i got to figure out how to get some logs, but i only have the codeigniter ones, since the PHP logs are currently disabled in the server.

The only thing i have in the CI logs is:

DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> Config Class Initialized
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> Hooks Class Initialized
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> URI Class Initialized
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> No URI present. Default controller set.
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> Router Class Initialized
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> Output Class Initialized
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> Input Class Initialized
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> Global POST and COOKIE data sanitized
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> Language Class Initialized
DEBUG - 2010-07-05 12:21:46 --> Loader Class Initialized

All seems ok... :S

Hmmm.. is there any way you can get the PHP logs enabled?

If not, the alternative is to have PHP display the errors, but seeing as this is a production server it's not really desirable.. could you maybe upload the app somewhere obscure for just long enough to see the error? i.e. /public_html/sdkjhfsjkdhfjkdhskfg/

[eluser]TheIgniter[/eluser]
try these thread :
Code:
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/133959/#678606
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/84634/

[eluser]Jodah[/eluser]
Thank you for all your help.

Seems the problem is solved, i cannot precisely identify were we got it, because i made some changes and only at the end noticed that in the middle of trying to solve this i uploaded the test server config files into the production server.So i got database error(i didn't get it before) and after i fixed this, it was working.

Some changes were made at the server side, and those i had no control over, so it could be that also..

Sorry for such a weak feedback. Once again, thanks a lot! Big Grin

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB