Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
amazon s3 and CI

[eluser]sixpack434[/eluser]
Has any one got a CI library for amazon s3? or can anyway assist in how to connect to amazon s3 using CI? I have spent the whole weekend looking at amazon s3's documentation and trying to connect to it in CI but have not succeeded thus far, any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

[eluser]gunter[/eluser]
I used the s3 class from neurofuzzy http://neurofuzzy.net/2006/03/17/amazon-s3-php-class/
I made sure that all the required PEAR libraries (Crypt_HMAC and HTTP_Request) are available, wrote in the right secret keys and it worked...

which S3 class are you trying to get to run?
(edit: oh, you don´t use any now?)

Hi Gunter,

I tried neurofuzzy's s3 class and I only got it to work in the past hour :-) I spent nearly all weekend trying all sort of scripts but i have finally got it working.

Thanks for your help though

[eluser]gunter[/eluser]
that´s super! :-)
and what kind of things do you want store with s3? images?

language podcasts :-)

[eluser]Josh Giese[/eluser]
[quote author="gunter" date="1190074782"]I used the s3 class from neurofuzzy http://neurofuzzy.net/2006/03/17/amazon-s3-php-class/
I made sure that all the required PEAR libraries (Crypt_HMAC and HTTP_Request) are available, wrote in the right secret keys and it worked...

which S3 class are you trying to get to run?
(edit: oh, you don´t use any now?)[/quote]

I am using the neurofuzzy class for S3 access also. It took me a while to get the right PEAR items installed to make this work. Required a but of updating to my server, but things are working now.

If you are having troubles, check with your server host about the PEAR install they have.

This is a great class, and it works great with CI

Thanks, i sorted this out a while ago, but I received a shocking bill from Amazon about £500 for just two weeks usage!! so I stopped using them. Sad thing is that I spent many hours configuring my site to use them, i thought S3 is a cheap option but I learnt otherwise.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use amazon s3, they don't protect you against spam, pay as you go is not the way anymore but unlimited bandwidth is, I joined libsyn in the end for only $30 a month. Amazon S3 will cost you, just make sure you keep an eye on the bill!

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
what kind of traffic did you have to get such a large bill?

You can find the details here with screenshots of my bill http://www.arabicpod.net/temp_feed.php

I had to suspend all my services. Also amazon S3 reporting is rubbish, it doesn't show exactly where the traffic is coming from, and the customer service is not that great either. It'll be good if you can set a threshold so your bill doesn't go over a certain amount, but you can't do that, and they don't even send you a warning, so if you don't keep an eye on your account you can go bankrupt.

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
Ditto with EC2. I am going to run up a bill of like $150 this month with one EC2 instance that uses a lot of bandwidth. For that money I could get a good dedicated server from softlayer with a ton of bandwidth and not have to check my bandwidth all the time to make sure there are no huge spikes.

You can check out Bingodisk from Joyent which is a free storage service with unlimited bandwidth and uses Webdav.

S3 is probably still cheaper for shops like 37Signals who would otherwise have to be running their own servers but for me, Amazon services can get to be more spendy than my other options.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB