Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Optional parameter for controller

[eluser]JohnDoerther[/eluser]
Hi guys,

I have the following situation: I have a controller at/back/orders/start/15 which would in this case show the 15 latest orders placed.

Now, I created the start method in the controller with 1 parameter. This works great if I actually pass a parameter, but I also want to be able to access /back/orders/start without a parameter (and using a default value of for example 10).

Could you tell me what the cleanest way of doing this is? I have never worked with remap or URI routing, I am not even sure if I need this but a quick Google seems like I might need this.

I tried creating another function start without a parameter but this seems to be forbidden (duplicate function name).

Thanks in advance,

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
Welcome to CI and the boards. You can use
Code:
$offset = $this->uri->segment(5,10); //Make 5th uri segment 10 by default

Thanks for the quick response, where would I use tha code? In the constructor or the actual function?

[eluser]pickupman[/eluser]
In the actual function/method. Placing code in the constructor would be for things used throughout the entire controller.
Code:
function back(){
  $offset = $this->uri->segment(5,10);
}

I always put these at the top of the function/method. You can also pass uri segment default values by placing them in the arguments for the function
Code:
function at($third_segment = 'orders', $forth_segment = 'start', $fifth_segment = '10'){
  //Now each segment has a default value
}
The arguments need to be passed together in succession. (ie. you can just pass the 4th item, and not declare the ones before it.

Wow that last solution with the default parameter value works like a charm - thanks a bunch!

Again great help here on the forums, hope to be able to contribute one day myself!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB