Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
modular extensions?

[eluser]tkyy[/eluser]
why do you hippies want modular extensions? are you guys that hell-bent on making codeigniter into drupal? the development flow is fine. stop it.

but being serious now, what are the benefits to developing in a modular way? i just never understood the concept since i use zend and ci for literally everything i develop with a gui.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
hippies?

I can't speak for others, but I have several reasons for wanting to work modular.

First of all, it breaks your application into pieces that can be handled easy. The same reason we all moved from one chunk of spaghetti code to procedural code to object oriented code.
It also makes reuse easier (if you develop your modules well), and in a lot of applications it allows functional extensions to the application without touching the application itself.

For most modular solutions, modules are loosly coupled to the application, you install a folder structure in the modules directory, and the module is directly loaded via the URI.

For Modular CI, the main goal was full functional integration in the application, with a defined API. Which in the case of ExiteCMS allows you to develop modules at screen element (block, widget, name it) level, which completly integrate in the application. This allows third parties to develop modules for the application without having to modify the application itself, in some cases even without touching the application at all. It also allows extension of functionality by interaction between modules. If you install the workflow module in ExiteCMS, you can add workflow capabilities to lots of functions within the application, for example when a new user is created (things like approvals become possible).

[eluser]tkyy[/eluser]
well said i suppose, thanks. i can't argue with steam-lining workflow in any way, in the end have you found development with modular ci more speedy? or is it essentially just more speedy for adding things to a site you don't know anything about (as you said drop in without having to understand the site itself intially)?

i am constantly looking for ways to develop applications faster, for instance i have code snipplets set up in my ide specifically for codeigniter queries and creating controllers libraries helpers etc.

i'll check out modular ci, although i must admit i have a biased against it, even if it seems unfair, because of drupal. since it's horrible. the ease-of-use of modular extensions for that platform has completely ruined it, since people think they can add anything they want to a site without understanding it and throw scalability out of the window. i honestly think some of the people that come to this forum without experience in ci have a notion that it is something like drupal and they seek out different libraries and plugins without really understanding what is going on. for that reason and from personal experience with drupal (as far as scalability) i feel a little weird about it.

ci is definitely nothing like drupal, when you build in ci you build from scratch essentially and i have actually had a hard time explaining it to clients and etc.

we worked with a company who build a social networking application for us in drupal. with all the different call the different modules were making every time something loaded it destroyed the project and i had to rewrite it in ci. it was a nightmare.

BUT i'll keep this updated and let you know what i think about it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB