Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI 2.0 or 1.7.2

[eluser]JCianflone[/eluser]
Hello everyone,

I am going to be starting a new project in the next day or so and I will be using CodeIgniter as my framework. What I'm wondering is if I should download and use the new 2.0 framework or start it 1.7.2. I really have two questions associated with this:

1. Should I use 2 or 1.7.2
2. If I go with 1.7 how easy will it be to make the switch to 2.0? THe project will be all PHP5 so there won't be any issues there

I've read that 2.0 is pretty stable, so is it going to be released any time soon, I haven't see any news on a release date.

Thanks

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
CI 2.0 is very stable, with not a lot of significant changes. It's basically 1.7.2 + bugfixes + security features.

Phil Sturgeon wrote an excellent piece on the differences and the migration steps (the last not relevant for a new project offcourse).

[eluser]mi6crazyheart[/eluser]
My Suggestion: Yes to CI 2.0 :coolsmile:

[eluser]kaejiavo[/eluser]
hi guys,
if it is true that 2.0 is recomended right now, why not release a beta or RC? Downloading the tip version from bitbucket is not giving me high confidence that i am using to some extend stable code...

Marco

[eluser]Crimp[/eluser]
I converted one site from 1.7.2 to 2.0 so I can say that you can't go wrong either way - it was quick and easy.

If I were to start a new project, I would go for 2.0 without any hesitation.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Don't forget that all Ellislab's commercial products also run on CI 2.0, so it's in their best intrest that it is stable.
And a lot of major developers here use CI2, and have done for quite some time.

[eluser]pbreit[/eluser]
Quote:Downloading the tip version from bitbucket is not giving me high confidence that i am using to some extend stable codeā€¦

Then use 1.7.2. But as others have said, 2.0 is in pretty good shape.

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
Get 2.0. If you do decide to choose 1.7.2, just know that you're going to have to make some changes to some files when you upgrade to 2.0, your models from extending Model to CI_Model for starters, then the new modifications and additions to the config file.

In all honesty, get 2.0, as mentioned it is basically 1.7.2 with a few bug fixes and additions. 2.0 also gives you CSRF protection for your forms which is an awesome addition in my opinion for administration panel actions especially.

[eluser]JCianflone[/eluser]
Thanks everyone for your input, I am going ahead with 2.0.

But I echo a question from Marco up above, why hasn't a RC or Beta been released yet? I find the whole CI project a bit odd in this respect. The BitBucket repo is basically open, anyone can follow it and download the code, yet CI doesn't have an open roadmap or even a beta release date on it or anything.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB