Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Leveraging "load->_ci_cached_vars" array in libraries

[eluser]neal789[/eluser]
Just wondering if anyone sees any downside to leveraging the _ci_cached_vars method of the CI_Loader class as a substitute for passing variables from my controllers into library functions?

It seems like I could clean up my code a lot and not need to worry about passing in session information to libraries if I just access the load->_ci_cached_vars array within my libraries to get user information. Can I depend on that array being correct? Is there any downside or risk?

Thanks for any input.

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
Could you give us an example? Why don't you just make a "settings" library, or use the session or config lib?

_ci_cached_vars is a strange choice, it's just going to litter your view scope with variables.

[eluser]neal789[/eluser]
Thanks for the reply Pascal Kriete.

I don't have a specific code example to give, but for all logged in users on the site I grab a rather large "profile" object at the start of each controller. I want it to be available to me within that request no matter what library or model I'm in. And I want to do it without constantly passing the object around.

The profile object is too large to cookie, so adding it to the session cookie is not an option. I could create a settings library, but I think that the config library might be the way to go. I didn't realize that I could add to that dynamically. I'm afraid I don't understand the term "view scope" so I didn't understand your last comment, but let me know if this shed any more light on what I'm talking about and if you think I'm on the right track.

Thanks

[eluser]Pascal Kriete[/eluser]
_ci_cached_vars is used to store the current view variables.

So both of these examples add to _ci_cached_vars
Code:
$data = array('foo' => 'bar');
$this->load->view('name', $data);

// or
$this->load->vars($data);

That array is then extracted when the view is loaded. Which means that in the view, you have access to the variables in _ci_cached_vars.

It sounds like your on the right track. I personally like keeping that kind of stuff separate from CI's session and config data arrays. So I would probably extend the session or config library to add a nice getter for profile data.

Code:
$user_language = $this->session->user_profile('language', 'english');

Something like:
Code:
class MY_Session extends CI_Session {

var $profile = array();

function MY_Session($params = array())
    {
        parent::CI_Session($params);

$this->_fetch_profile();
    }

function _fetch_profile()
    {
        $query = $this->CI->db->get_where('profile', array('foo' => 'bar'));
        $this->profile = $query->row_array();
    }

function user_profile($key, $default = FALSE)
    {
        if (array_key_exists($key, $this->profile))
        {
            return $this->profile[$key];
        }

return $default;
    }
}

[eluser]neal789[/eluser]
That looks like a very elegant solution. I'm going to take your advice and run with it.

Thanks so much for your input.
Neal

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB