Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Template Engine is more important to consider

[eluser]Yadi Utama[/eluser]
I think template engines need to be considered and developed further in CodeIgniter. with the template engine will make it easier for the division of labor within a team of web developers in which the team web designer and CSS layouts do not need to understand the PHP code in their creation. For example, in a CMS where users can create their own themes without having to understand the PHP code.

[eluser]pbreit[/eluser]
They either have to understand PHP (which a lot of people do, including designers) or some new templating language (which no one knows). PHP is a templating language and can work well as a templating language in a framework like CodeIgniter.

I say keep things simple and CI lean.

I think that CodeIgniter will keep it simple and sleek with perfecting the template parser class in which i found deficiencies in it. Framework with MVC design patterns means there should be an alternative way in which that can perform a strict and clean separation between the Models and Views where there is no PHP code in HTML and no HTML in PHP codes. Web designers will be easier to understand the template's pseudo-variable instead of php code.

[eluser]techgnome[/eluser]
Not every one is a web designer... not everyone is a developer. So how do you keep everyone happy? Leave the templating out of the core. Leave it as a bolt-on (and I've seen several . I don't want to have to load a templating system if I'm not going to use it. One of the reasons I no longer use XOOPS for development is because of the SMARTY template system it uses. Sometimes in an effort to "simplify" things, templates can actually be a hindrance. Even with a template, there's still some logic that has to be applied.

But that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

-tg

[eluser]mohrt[/eluser]
I agree templates should be a bolt-on for a framework such as CI. It is up to the developer, designer, and project requirements to decide: PHP mixed with HTML, or tag-based template system. Each has its place. Adding specific template features to the CI core creates a bias to one way of handling views, and no one will be happy with one way.

[eluser]Mischievous[/eluser]
I have a Template Engine that I've developed that is extremely lightweight but also extremely robust. Since there is so much need it seems for a Template Engine "out of the box" I think I'll release it to the public here shortly.

Simply has 4 main functions (for developers)
setTemplate();
attachTemplate();
writeRegion();
loadView();

For designers:
uses any tags you would like to process through your design that is set through a config file (ex: {MyTag:MyVariable} or [CI:MyVariable]) and allows for the unlimited nested arrays/objects to be parsed through, also supports multi-languages however, language files will need to be supplied by you. Also supports unlimited nested templates and is setup to compress /minify javascript/css on the fly and cache files that haven't been modified. Also has the ability to push files to amazon cloud server.

Including css/javascript files is as easy as {MyTag:css_filename:css} or {MyTag:js_filename:js}, can also supply a comma separated list for multiple file inclusion. Also supports dynamic css/javascript by simply adding in .php extention after filename. ex: ({MyTag:css_filename.php:css})

Its also setup currently for modular separation but if I release a public version i'll have it setup for both setups.

Let me know thoughts on this... if this would be useful to anyone, i'll get it setup for a public release version

Hellooo...Is it right CI provides 2 ways to handle views?

$this->load->view('blog_view', $data);

or

$this->parser->parse('blog_template', $data);

anyone can help me to replace the second way with any of powerfull template parser class?
PatTemplate may be? but how?

actually it's one of my goal in CI, how to make a strict separation between HTML and PHP code in view component.

[quote author="Mischievous" date="1291261450"]I have a Template Engine that I've developed that is extremely lightweight but also extremely robust. Since there is so much need it seems for a Template Engine "out of the box" I think I'll release it to the public here shortly.

Simply has 4 main functions (for developers)
setTemplate();
attachTemplate();
writeRegion();
loadView();

For designers:
uses any tags you would like to process through your design that is set through a config file (ex: {MyTag:MyVariable} or [CI:MyVariable]) and allows for the unlimited nested arrays/objects to be parsed through, also supports multi-languages however, language files will need to be supplied by you. Also supports unlimited nested templates and is setup to compress /minify javascript/css on the fly and cache files that haven't been modified. Also has the ability to push files to amazon cloud server.

Including css/javascript files is as easy as {MyTag:css_filename:css} or {MyTag:js_filename:js}, can also supply a comma separated list for multiple file inclusion. Also supports dynamic css/javascript by simply adding in .php extention after filename. ex: ({MyTag:css_filename.php:css})

Its also setup currently for modular separation but if I release a public version i'll have it setup for both setups.

Let me know thoughts on this... if this would be useful to anyone, i'll get it setup for a public release version[/quote]

it will be nice.. and also submit it to CI team to release a new one with yours.

[eluser]Mischievous[/eluser]
Ok, will get working on a public release version. Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB