Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
INFORMATION ON CODEIGNITER 2

[eluser]Jamie Rumbelow[/eluser]
This post is in response to the high level of questions we're receiving about CodeIgniter 2, and this is supposed to clear any questions up. If more questions are posted, please divert people to this post.

Where can I get CodeIgniter 2?

CodeIgniter 2 is under development, and freely available, over at BitBucket. You can fork the repository and contribute to the codebase, and make bug reports.

When is CodeIgniter 2 going to be officially released?

CodeIgniter 2 has no definitive release date. Bugs are still being fixed, features being added and there is no way of guessing when it will be available as an official release. I won't commit the development team to any specific release dates, so the only date I can give is soon.

Is the development branch of CodeIgniter 2 stable?

The codebase is still under active development, and some things may change, but the code is considered stable. This means that it is ready to use in production applications. It won't change dramatically, and the only changes being implemented are bug fixes and new features. Nothing will be largely backward incompatible; that is to say, applications written on the current development version and the official release should be compatible. Needless to say, I've been writing plenty of production, client applications on CI2 and haven't come across any problems.

Is it PHP4 compatible?

CodeIgniter 2 deprecates PHP4 support. You will still be able to write applications in PHP4, but it's highly recommended you don't, as PHP4 support will be removed in the next major version, CodeIgniter 2.1, and any new 2.x features probably won't work.

[eluser]Abu eldahab[/eluser]
Hello,

Thanks Jamie for this post

Regards

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
Indeed good post, will hopefully save us from a lot of useless posts. but you might want to add a 4 to the quote below.

Quote:CodeIgniter 2 deprecates PHP support.
LOL

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Thanks for making a sticky on this subject, it was getting pretty ridiculous. It might be worth mentioning (once again) that ExpressionEngine 2.1, MojoMotor and PyroCMS are all running on CodeIgniter 2 so it can easily be considered stable.

And once again, I'll mention that every bug noticed in 1.7.2 is fixed in 2.0. That means in many ways 2.0 is actually more stable than 1.7.2, even if it is not a "final release".

[eluser]victorche[/eluser]
Some other changes between 1.7.2 and 2.0 also:

=> /application folder is not separated from /system folder and they are both on the same level. This makes updating even more easier.
=> plugins are deprecated in 2.0, use models/helpers in case you need similar functionality.
=> Your models are extending CI_Model instead of just Model.

[eluser]Giuseppe Caruso[/eluser]
[quote author="victorche" date="1286217943"]=> plugins are deprecated in 2.0, use models/helpers in case you need similar functionality.[/quote]

I.e.? If plugins are deprecated in v2, how do developers exchange small standalone apps? Could be by using libraries?

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
Don't spam this thread with a bunch of questions that have been asked and answered several times already.

CodeIgniter 2: Everything you need to know

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Why not just dump php4 support entirely for this new major version and start with a fresh, clean core? It seems that kind of thing is what you do in a major version, not minor (2.1)?

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
@Jamie

Maybe a good idea to add a link to Phil's upgrade guide? Of course any good reader will discover it in his posts in this topic, but let's assume people don't really try to find the solution before creating new topics... ;-)

[eluser]jasonjack[/eluser]
that really a good idea to add a link the upgraded guide. thanks i would also help in doing this...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB