Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
using a data API instead of a database backed model

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I've never developed using CI before but I have extensively used the MVC architecture. We're planning out an app right now and I'm curious if the community thinks that CI is the right fit for the project.

We will not house the data that the application will be used. Instead, the data will be sent and received via an API and XML.

Will CI handle this natively? Is it worth working around? Does this alter and eliminate enough CI benefits to rule this framework out?

Thanks in advance.

[eluser]techgnome[/eluser]
Isn't that the point of MVC though? Ultimately the only thing that cares about where the data comes from is the Model... and that's only because it is responsible for getting it in the first place. The rest of the frame work doesn't care if it came from a database, and XML file, or csv. If it's any help, my install talks to two databases (one at the host and one sitting here at my house) AND also talks to an application I run here through an alternate port using sockets.

-tg

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Yes, that's the point of MVC, but not necessarily the point of CI. I was going to develop my own architecture based on MVC where the model would retrieve data from the API.

What I'm saying is that would CI get too much in the way of itself given that I'm altering how CI uses the data models?

I'm not familiar enough with CI to know if this to be the case or not.

Does instantiating a model require a DB to be behind it, for example?

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Why not just create a CodeIgniter API Libaray that calls the model functions?

InsiteFX

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB