Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Website search question

[eluser]neomech[/eluser]
I'm making a website that will eventually have a lot of product data on it. I need it to be searched easily.

My understanding is that something like Sphider goes through the site and indexes the actual webpages, while Lucene or Sphinx index your database fields.

Sphider can apparently bog down pretty fast when there are lots of pages, so I was going to go with Sphinx or the Zend-Lucene library.

My concern is that a lot of the product "data" has text that is pulled out of an XML file, as opposed to the database. As an example, for a camera that has a "10x zoom lens" in its product description, the "10" is in the db, but the "x zoom lens" is pulled from an XML file. Am I correct in thinking that Lucene and Sphinx won't index the description properly?

Anyone have any suggestions for the best way of indexing my site where there is a mixture of data coming from a MySQL db and XML files?

Thanks!

[eluser]ram4nd[/eluser]
Why not use googles custom search?

[eluser]neomech[/eluser]
If I used google, I'd need to remove their branding for design purposes, which would mean using the "Google Site Search", which would cost money. I'm looking for a free, or relatively inexpensive, solution.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB