Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
please stop supporting PHP4 !

[eluser]enridp[/eluser]
just that Sad

[eluser]techgnome[/eluser]
Well seeing as how PHP6 is available, how about we drop support for PHP5 too while we're at it? After all PHP5 is starting to get a bit long in the tooth isn't it?

-tg

[eluser]enridp[/eluser]
PHP6 is not widely supported, PHP5 yes, and PHP4 does not exists anymore.

[eluser]techgnome[/eluser]
[quote author="enridp" date="1286837000"]PHP6 is not widely supported, PHP5 yes, and PHP4 does not exists anymore.[/quote]
[sneeze]nottrue(re: php4 not "existing")[/sneeze]...
My host still supports php4 by default... I have to do an htaccess modification to run php5 or php6. PHP4 may be dead in the world of you control everything and do this stuff for a living, but some of us don't have that control and are are the mercy of our hosts.

-tg

[eluser]enridp[/eluser]
if your host does not support PHP5 then make you a favor and change your hosting.
We are not talking about support for LCDS (+$30K) or anything like that, we are talking about supporting PHP5 (free! released in 2005! and with a lot of improvements over PHP4!)

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
It has already been announced that CI2.1 will drop PHP4 support from the codebase, so its coming...and gives people time to plan on it and get libraries and things updated.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
I just wish people would stop moaning about this. It doesn't lead to anything.

CI works with PHP4, CI works with PHP5. If you want to use PHP5 features in your application, who's stopping you? If CI itself doesn't use PHP5-only features, why should this bother you? Doesn't it do what the manual says it does?

[eluser]enridp[/eluser]
WanWizard, if we are using CI we are NOT using PHP5, because CI is our base, there are a lot differences not only in performance and features, also in the way we need to code with the CI_PHP4.
That's the reason why Kohana exists after all, and that's the reason why many CI's users are using now Kohana.
And that's the reason why CI must be PHP5 from the core.
I can't understand why you are resisting to that, do you really think that PHP4 is better than PHP5?
I don't (and it isn't).
And I think CI2 with PHP5 will be MUCH better.
But I've read this:
http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/169287/
Quote:Is it PHP4 compatible?

CodeIgniter 2 deprecates PHP4 support. You will still be able to write applications in PHP4, but it’s highly recommended you don’t, as PHP4 support will be removed in the next major version, CodeIgniter 2.1, and any new 2.x features probably won’t work.

And I can't understand why the firsts version will be released with PHP4.

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
CI2 is more like CI 1.8. There are some good and bigger additions, but nothing major in the current BitBucket public repository. I was expecting more from a major version update. While drivers, packages and splitting off core libraries in their own dir is good stuff, but more of .x upgrade then a real x.0 upgrade - as the core remains pretty much unchanged.

If CI2.1 will really be a fully PHP5 version, that'll be more of a major upgrade then CI2.

[eluser]Bart v B[/eluser]
Quote:
And I can't understand why the firsts version will be released with PHP4.

First of all, i agree that it's is a better way to drop old things, and look forward.
But, there are still many hosters that support php4. Not only that, many (shared)hosters have support for php4 and php5. Then we have another problem: the people that don't know how they can use php5 on that hosters. Maybe for use it's a simple thing, but for a starter it can be a pain in the back if you know what i mean. Wink

I think that a smooth way to move away from php4 is better then just drop.
Because a starter wil drop CI if it's not woking just because you only can use php5 and the hoster has php4...

People change, frameworks changce, hoster change. So i don't see the problem.
In a few years we see this discussions as an old laugh with no point. Wink

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB