Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
ExciteCMS, PyroCMS, or Neither?

[eluser]CodeIgniterNewbie[/eluser]
I'm building a profile-matching website (users create profiles so that other users can find them; sort of like a dating site). The current plan is to develop on CI the following:

profile manager
profile listing
profile search
other core components of a profile-matching webite

The site also needs a blog (I would like to restrict comments to members of the site), occasionally updated pages (e.g. "About" page), etc. Now, I would rather have a CMS handle such pages and tweak them as needed (e.g. I may want to display profile summaries in a sidebar on the blog posts, etc.).

Should I try to integrate my application with an existing CI CMS or am I better building everything on my own (I am strongly against the latter idea). My problem is that I do not have actual experience with either ExciteCMS or PyroCMS. So, I am looking for advice from someone who has.

Thanks.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
ExiteCMS isn't production ready at the moment, so I would advice against using it for now.

[eluser]tonanbarbarian[/eluser]
another option is that i know from experience that is it fairly easy to integrate CI into other another CMS
I have successfully used CI inside of Joomla, and I could do it in other CMS as well fairly easily
so if you have a cms you are used to using consider trying that option as well

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
While PyroCMS is incredibly close to v1.0 we have not had the time to work on the profiles module. I myself have previously used PyroCMS-based code to build a brilliant Profile Matching website (Google search for Real Sex Index when you aren't at work) but there is nothing in the core that can do that.

PyroCMS gives you a brilliant base to start your application, then you add in extra modules. If you code is generic enough for everyone you can offer it to us to merge into the core, or sell it on our Add-on store that will be launching in a few days. The forums offer plenty of support in how to do this, or find one of the developers on #pyrocms IRC.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB