Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
URL Rewriting with Windows

[eluser]Bob Dog[/eluser]
Simple question... If your website is running on a Windows server, do you have to install Apache in order to do URL rewriting (to allow the index.php to be omitted)? (Windows doesn't interpret .htaccess files, right?) Is there any other way to accomplish URL rewriting without installing Apache?

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
Where did you get that Windows does'nt interpret .htaccess? It's just a file among others so it sure does. I dont use IIS myself but with quick googling there is rewrite module for that also(I assume you meant IIS which is the default webserver for Windows Server [year here] OS), so go ahead and use that.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
In fact IIS does not recognize .htaccess it is a Apache server feature. Rewrite in some form is available standard in IIS7.0 I believe, and is available as an add on for earlier IIS versions from various sources.

[eluser]danspam[/eluser]
If you are running IIS you can use the rewrite module as mentioned above. You can then setup the rule manually or even import .htaccess files. This then creates a web.config file in your website folder that contains a rewrite section containing the rules.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB