Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What's Happening Now?

[eluser]Блум[/eluser]
Better hurry up.. the people are starting to wander if CI is in coma.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
[quote author="Блум" date="1288266823"]Better hurry up.. the people are starting to wander if CI is in coma.[/quote]

I'm very disappointed with Phil after reading that blog post.

Both Phil and Dan appear to be very self absorbed individuals who should know that they would be nothing without the audience and publicity they have obtained from their relationship with Ellislab, CodeIgniter and this community.

The mere fact their new framework is almost a direct copy of Kohana with ideas taken from Codeigniter proves to me their total lack of imagination. It doesn't even seem to matter to them that they run over other hardworking developers without attributing copyright properly where it is due.

Even the name of this new framework has had to be changed at least three times so far due to their lack of consideration for other developers and their application when choosing it.

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
I definately won't go as far as some that say that CI is dead (or in a coma), far from it. But Phil (and others) do address some very valid points.

I too have been very frustrated by the lack of interaction between Ellislab and the community. I shouldn't have to spend my time fixing bugs in core code because those in charge don't do it. And because there is no response whatsoever when you push your fix, I only assume that numerous others have to do exactly the same.

Then there is the issue of obvious lack of progress. CI 1.7.2. was released on September 11, 2009. Now, 14 months on, there is still no new version, and if you compare the codebase of 1.7.2 and 2.0, you'll see that there aren't any significant updates or new features.

Those here that develop 'serious' applications using CI know that you'll end up bolting lots of 3rd party solutions on, and extending the code that you don't have available in a 3rd party solution, converting a lean-and-mean framework into a big fat system. And this is common practice, just look at how Ellislab solves that same issue for EE: exactly the same way.

I'll like to keep an open mind, and hope that the future is going to prove that things can change. I'll wait and see.

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
Wow, Phil's post is a little concerning. I've only been developing in Codeigniter for a couple of months and I am already really proficient in it's use, I would hate for it to dissipate and die. Compare that easy learning curve to Zend Framework which I have been using on and off at work and it just seems like so much extra code to achieve something Codeigniter does in a couple of lines.

I am a little concerned about the slow pace of Codeigniter. The community is obviously full of very smart individuals who have contributed libraries and other pieces of code to make Codeigniter viable for basically every single use you can think of, utilise them.

Maybe it's time to open up the flood gates and let the community start contributing Ellis Lab? It would be awesome if Modular Extensions were part of the CI core because to me HMVC feels so right with CI now since I first started using it.

I would gladly contribute time and my PHP skills to make Codeigniter better if I knew my changes wouldn't be ignored or considered.

[eluser]Chalda Pnuzig[/eluser]
[quote author="WanWizard" date="1288281028"]I definately won't go as far as some that say that CI is dead (or in a coma), far from it. But Phil (and others) do address some very valid points.

I too have been very frustrated by the lack of interaction between Ellislab and the community. I shouldn't have to spend my time fixing bugs in core code because those in charge don't do it. And because there is no response whatsoever when you push your fix, I only assume that numerous others have to do exactly the same.

Then there is the issue of obvious lack of progress. CI 1.7.2. was released on September 11, 2009. Now, 14 months on, there is still no new version, and if you compare the codebase of 1.7.2 and 2.0, you'll see that there aren't any significant updates or new features.

Those here that develop 'serious' applications using CI know that you'll end up bolting lots of 3rd party solutions on, and extending the code that you don't have available in a 3rd party solution, converting a lean-and-mean framework into a big fat system. And this is common practice, just look at how Ellislab solves that same issue for EE: exactly the same way.

I'll like to keep an open mind, and hope that the future is going to prove that things can change. I'll wait and see.[/quote]

I agree...

[eluser]phpserver[/eluser]
Pretty awesome,i am gonna check it out.Good work guys.

[eluser]phpserver[/eluser]
[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1288268916"][quote author="Блум" date="1288266823"]Better hurry up.. the people are starting to wander if CI is in coma.[/quote]

Both Phil and Dan appear to be very self absorbed individuals who should know that they would be nothing without the audience and publicity they have obtained from their relationship with Ellislab, CodeIgniter and this community.

The mere fact their new framework is almost a direct copy of Kohana with ideas taken from Codeigniter proves to me their total lack of imagination. It doesn't even seem to matter to them that they run over other hardworking developers without attributing copyright properly where it is due.

Even the name of this new framework has had to be changed at least three times so far due to their lack of consideration for other developers and their application when choosing it.[/quote]

Lol,i agree.

[eluser]Developer13[/eluser]
[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1288268916"][quote author="Блум" date="1288266823"]Better hurry up.. the people are starting to wander if CI is in coma.[/quote]

Even the name of this new framework has had to be changed at least three times so far due to their lack of consideration for other developers and their application when choosing it.[/quote]

I'm with you buddy. All that you said, plus the fact that he's claiming it to be a "community driven" framework... yet he also stated that the reason he's doing it is he's being paid to do it for a client project. Truly community driven projects don't result in this manner. I feel sorry for those being fooled, but I have a feeling it's going to be an overall failure anyway.

And what's all of this disgruntlement over the lack of "features" being implemented into CI? It's a FRAMEWORK, people! The fact that it has a stupid cart library shows what happens when people are quick to want to put new "features" into a framework. A cart library simply doesn't belong in the core framework. The day that CodeIgniter starts changing these whiners' diapers is the day I stop using it. Until then, it's a superb framework that does the job and does the job well and I will continue to use it daily and will be appreciative of the fact that EllisLab has *chosen* to make it available to the community.

[eluser]mi6crazyheart[/eluser]
I think all these miss conception about EllisLab ignoring CI started due to lack of efficient conversation between CI community & EllisLab. But, as now Derek has cleared every things. Now there are no more & shouldn't be any miss conception...

Thx Derek... Smile

[eluser]pbreit[/eluser]
I agree that frameworks should change more slowly than some would like. They are foundations and so need to demonstrate stability.

However, it is surprising that a framework as restrained (in a good way) as CodeIgniter includes things like "Cart".

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB